Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This is the neatest IKEA gadget. (chem mixing)

This is the neatest IKEA gadget. (chem mixing)

I remember one time, maybe in the beginning days of apug or maybe here, long time ago, someone mentioned not to use one of those industrial mixers for mixing chemistry. Something about oxidation (adding too much o2 into the mixing). Who knows, I'm not a chemist. I did used to mix the big old 5 gal containers of chemicals one time at a lab and I remember using an immersion blender.

Here's a tiny one I got from Ikea. Costs me like $1.99. I use it for my MCT oil in coffee. Now I need to get a few more for chemistry.

Re: This is the neatest IKEA gadget. (chem mixing)

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    I remember one time, maybe in the beginning days of apug or maybe here, long time ago, someone mentioned not to use one of those industrial mixers for mixing chemistry. Something about oxidation (adding too much o2 into the mixing). Who knows, I'm not a chemist. I did used to mix the big old 5 gal containers of chemicals one time at a lab and I remember using an immersion blender.

Here's a tiny one I got from Ikea. Costs me like $1.99. I use it for my MCT oil in coffee. Now I need to get a few more for chemistry.

I work the snack bar at our local High School pool deck during H2O polo and swim meets. We've got one of these for stirring hot instant cocoa. Works good!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Good idea. I've seen many similar "egg beater" thingies at thrift stores for even less.

Years ago, I found a Corning Stirrer PC-353 at the "junk room" at the University I worked at. It was FREE (as was everything) to faculty and staff -- left-overs from completed projects and programs. It is a 5x5x5" ceramic-topped "box" that has an adjustable, rotaing magnet inside using 110AC. You place any vial on top, with your liquid and solid, and drop in a glass-encased magnet into the vial. Turn on the Stirrer to the speed you want, and it does all the work for you -- creating a mini-tornado. You can attend to other issues, such as loading the film into a tank, etc. I lacked the glass-encased magnet, but I found one for a couple of bucks from Edmund Scientific. They come in different sizes, etc.

I can't tell you how much easier this makes my darkroom experience. You can buy them (or similar models) new, of course, but I suspect you can find them for next to nothing on EBAY -- NOT just in the photography section, but the LAB INDUSTRIAL CHEMICAL section. If you use a lot of dry chemicals, you will thank yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?ul_n...pc-353&_sop=15

The purpose of the Ikea gadget is to froth milk, which means mixing air with liquids. This increases the likelihood of oxidation, and is not what you want for chemical mixing. The stirrers like Xkaes mentions are far better for this purpose.

Costs me like $1.99.

What is "like" $1,99? More, or less?
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    The purpose of the Ikea gadget is to froth milk, which means mixing air with liquids. This increases the likelihood of oxidation, and is not what you want for chemical mixing. The stirrers like Xkaes mentions are far better for this purpose.
    Just made and used 1L of d76h. I don't see a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Costs me like $1.99.

What is "like" $1,99? More, or less?
    I guess ND has a shortage of thrift stores. All around Denver, thrift stores sell USED household gadgets like these for 0.25 or .49 cents each. Sure they are used, but most are in perfect condition. That's where most of my ladles, spatulas, scrapers, etc. come from -- no, I do not use them in my darkroom. Bread and cake pans go for about $1 if they are in great shape. Pots and pans $2.

Jus' sayin'.

Last week I got a Minolta Dimage A2 -- list price five years ago? Over $1,000. This one was in MINT condition -- with TWO battery packs, battery charger, computer cables, TWO owners manual, TWO software CD's, lens hood, LowePro camera case and more. $10. I'm keeping it. Everything works perfectly.

I also picked up a Sinar Six Gossen focal plane 4x5 meter for $5. Works perfectly. Sold it on EBAY for $255. No joke, you can check it out yourself.

A fool and his money.....

North Dakota has some thrift stores and even pawn shops. Rummage sales are the big thing tho. You have never seen so many kids clothes for sale as at them.

Was just questioning "like" in the price. It is $1.99, or it isn't.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Willie,

Many countries and transplants use ",", where most of us use a ".". Phone numbers, and such, get pretty "weird", as well. Imperial vs metric, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	metric.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	170188

But egg/coffee/etc. "frothers" and such are designed to froth things -- not a good idea with photo chemicals. But they can be used without frothing. They only create frothing IF the implement rises above the water line. Keep it at the bottom and there is no problem. That's what Julia Child told me, at least! Plus it's not a big deal if you use the chemicals immediately. If you store the chemicals for later re-use, then you might have a problem.

P.S. Photo chemicals CAN cause corrosion, so whatever you use, make sure to clean it after use -- you probably don't want Amidol in your omelette. Not only will your fingernails turn black, your tongue will too! On the other hand, Halloween is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post

But egg/coffee/etc. "frothers" and such are designed to froth things -- not a good idea with photo chemicals. But they can be used without frothing. They only create frothing IF the implement rises above the water line. Keep it at the bottom and there is no problem. .
    This is what I did. SOURCE: I have a culinary degree.
    Frothing doesn't occur what xkaes said. Also, frothing won't occur if you use non-fat milk.
    That's why a balloon whisk is shaped like it is, creates a lot of air.