Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another lab bites the dust

Another lab bites the dust

I stopped by Photographic Works here in Tucson today to drop of a couple of sheets of 5 x 7 - and discovered that they no longer process film. (They did last week!)

Not by choice I should point out. Their dip and dunk line cratered last week and they can't find anyone to repair it, or repair parts for that matter, and the cost of setting up a completely new line would be excessive.

So they're shutting down the processing business.

Too bad. It was only a 10 minute drive from my house. Guess I'll get the Jobo up and running.

Re: Another lab bites the dust

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I stopped by Photographic Works here in Tucson today to drop of a couple of sheets of 5 x 7 - and discovered that they no longer process film. (They did last week!)

Not by choice I should point out. Their dip and dunk line cratered last week and they can't find anyone to repair it, or repair parts for that matter, and the cost of setting up a completely new line would be excessive.

So they're shutting down the processing business.

Too bad. It was only a 10 minute drive from my house. Guess I'll get the Jobo up and running.
    Sounds like lack of film, a new technolab dip and dunk is under 15k which in the lab world peanuts.

Sounds like they might be looking for an excuse to get out of the shrinking processing market... Used processors can be had for little to nothing these days, so there would be costs involved, but little incentive... Sorry to see it go...

Steve K

Well there are a couple of other issues that might be influencing their decision. They're located on Grant Road which is being widened and it still isn't clear that they're going to be able to keep their building. They've been talking to the City of Tucson but it still isn't clear and probably won't be for quite a while since the businesses on each side of the street seem to be fighting over which side loses their parking or even their building. Anyhow it's a bummer. Particularly since my Jobo crapped out last night.

Hi Jim,

They stopped processing E6 film in December or January. That is when I switched to North Coast Photographic Services over in San Diego or Carlsbad. Ken Rockwell recommends them. Good service so far.

I agree that it is disappointing that they are not even developing negative film. TCR in Tempe stopped processing E6 film a year or 2 ago. I think that they still process color and B&W negative film:

http://www.tempecamera.biz/Film_Processing_s/622.htm (the webpage says that they still process E6 film, but that is not correct)

Maybe that is close enough for you...

Namaste,
    Daniel

I spread my processing work between North Coast Photographic and Blue Moon. They are both very good labs and I can recommend either. I develop all my own black and white but some of my c-41 and all of my E6 go out to these labs. (reminds me, I have some to go out right now.)
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Tempe Camera does not process any color sheet film. Only black and white now. I was just there and had my b/w 4x5 developed there, but had to send my color film to The Dark Room in CA. The Art Intersection in Gilbert you can process your own black and white film for 8 bucks an hour to use the lab and they supply everything. If you want to do color, you need to bring your stuff and rent the lab for 8 bucks an hour.

I want to start developing my own color and black and white, but figuring out what is needed and how to go about it is quite annoying and confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Ruttenberg View Post
    I want to start developing my own color and black and white, but figuring out what is needed and how to go about it is quite annoying and confusing.
    Steve, I taught myself B+W with not much fuss just by poking around the corners of the internet. There are tons of resources here to get you started. I'd be happy to share my workflow with you if you want to start. There are plenty of more qualified members here who I'm sure would do the same.

You can build a basic darkroom for very little money and with a minimum of equipment and consumables. Google "stand development" if you just want to dip your toes in without worrying too much about times and temperatures. Also check out the many YouTube videos demonstrating the process. Adorama has a great learning section, too.

As to which developers to use, there are a million opinions on this. Pick one and learn to use it. Rodinal is inexpensive, lasts forever, has low toxicity, and is easy for novices to learn with. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

Quote Originally Posted by seezee View Post
    Steve, I taught myself B+W with not much fuss just by poking around the corners of the internet. There are tons of resources here to get you started. I'd be happy to share my workflow with you if you want to start. There are plenty of more qualified members here who I'm sure would do the same.

You can build a basic darkroom for very little money and with a minimum of equipment and consumables. Google "stand development" if you just want to dip your toes in without worrying too much about times and temperatures. Also check out the many YouTube videos demonstrating the process. Adorama has a great learning section, too.

As to which developers to use, there are a million opinions on this. Pick one and learn to use it. Rodinal is inexpensive, lasts forever, has low toxicity, and is easy for novices to learn with. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
    Thanks for the information and the offer to help. I have been watching videos, etc and it is apparent one can go as simple as a single drum or as complex as a state of the art chemistry set up. I think I am somewhere in between. I like the big stainless steel sink, and water chiller/warmer to keep water at right temp. I even think the whole tray processing looks like a way to go. But the other way with a jobo or nova etc seem a way to go as well or use to compliment the tray developing.

I will be looking for a lot of help as I get into this more. Especially when my Chamonix 45H-1 arrives.

Best bet is to start simple. A single drum, no roller, or trays. You can use the 'taco' method in a $30 Paterson Universal tank with fine results. If you decide you want to keep developing your own, then you can think about a motor base or (heavens to Betsy!) a Jobo.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design