Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to get 4x5 sheet film in the UK for a reasonable price

Where to get 4x5 sheet film in the UK for a reasonable price

I am looking do more large format here, but I have noticed that there's a huge discrepancy between the price of 4x5 films in the UK vs US. For example, as of Sept 2017, 20-sheet Provia is about £100 vs $75. Portra 400 is £52 vs $43. Even Ilford Delta 100 (my favorite 35mm film) goes for ~£45 vs $40 for a pack of 25. Where do British photographers get their sheet films fix without paying through the nose?
    Last edited by minh0204; 14-Jan-2019 at 09:40.

Re: Where to get 4x5 sheet film in the UK for a reasonable price

I'm not from the UK, but have you looked at B&H? They'll ship internationally, but I don't know if the cost of international shipping would "put you back where you started," price-wise.

Quote Originally Posted by minh0204 View Post
    I am looking to get into large format shooting, but I have noticed that there's a huge discrepancy between the price of 4x5 films in the UK vs US. For example, as of Sept 2017, 20-sheet Provia is about £100 vs $75. Portra 400 is £52 vs $43. Even Ilford Delta 100 (my favorite 35mm film) goes for ~£45 vs $40 for a pack of 25. Where do British photographers get their sheet films fix without paying through the nose?
    Is not the price difference due to VAT being included? Don't forget that here in the US, an in-store purchase will have local and state sales taxes added which could be as much as 10%. If one does a mail order purchase, you not only pay for shipping but you also owe sales taxes - local and state if they were not collected as part of the sale.

Since you live in the UK, why not use Ilford films? They are high quality products.

BTW, I buy 4x5" B&W Shanghai film from eBay sellers and find it to be well made and reliable to use. Would UK Customs add VAT before you can accept the shipment?

One caveat: Shanghai B&W sheet film needs a LOT of reciprocity correction for exposures longer than 1 second. I'm not sure about Ilford B&W sheet film's reciprocity correction needed.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 22-Sep-2017 at 22:40. Reason: Cleaning up my prose.

I trawl EBay for Foma films

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I also look at UK eBay as you tend to find deals from suppliers you may not be aware of. Foma and Rollei films are quite cheap. Be careful with Foma pricing as some sellers quote a price for 25 sheets that is close to the price others offer for 50. Look for free postage. You can usually get HP5 and FP4 for about £40 incl p&p. I like Delta too, but in 4x5 you might as well use a faster film like HP5, as the quality is superb. Unfortunately, the Delta 400 isn't made in 4x5.
    Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I am in the UK and mainly use the Foma Film which I buy from SilverPrint

I am aware of Sales tax applied to all B&H sales, even then the price still doesn't make sense. What confuses me the most is, Ilford film is made in the UK yet UK price is 10-15% more expensive before any currency conversion. Maybe US distributors are much better negotiators so they can get bulk Ilford cheaper from UK ones? Just my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by IanBarber View Post
    I am in the UK and mainly use the Foma Film which I buy from SilverPrint
    Do you shoot colour as well? Looks like I'm limited to B&W for now given my budget.

Film and Darkroom User

The price difference has been like this for years, in fact three years ago it was almost twice the US cost in the UK. I guess the US distributer has negotiated a good deal?

Barry

Basically Ilford has to price heir film very aggressively in the US to compete with the patriotic US kodak market. Fuji price their slide film extortionately because they seem desperate to kill demand and hence an excuse to discontinue it. As for the rest of the difference, blame the Brexit exchange rate.