Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach users??????

Re: Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach users??????

[QUOTE=xkaes;1408691]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    The CB7 did not have autofocus. It had remote, manual electric focus, by pressing the switches on the front edge of the base board. /QUOTE]

You're correct, but many users and web sites call it "auto-focus". Beseler called it "power focus" since you use a toggle switch to change focus, instead of a knob. Since I'm completely at home using a knob, I don't mind the fact that my CB7 didn't come with "power focus".

Leica used a somewhat similar system on one of its enlargers. When you changed the height/magnification it adjusted the lens/bellows extension accordingly.
    Then many web sites and users don’t know what they are talking about. That doesn’t give anyone an excuse to further spread ridiculously incorrect and misleading information.

Lots of companies made true auto focus enlargers. Some, like Leica, Durst, Omega made models that used a cut cam to mate the len# to the enlarger for autofocus. The most basic versions used a cam cut to a focal length only while better versions used cams mated to a specific lens by serial number. Other companies like Kaiser and Homerich used electronic autofocus where the enlarger remembered the characteristics of specific lenses by programming them when the6 wer3 first mounted.
    Other companies like Rollei offered electronic focusing by remote control with a controller similar to the ones on slide projectors.
    But the CB 7, like the Rollei, simply had manual focusing via a switch. Much different then AF.

[QUOTE=Bob Salomon;1408697]
    Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Then many web sites and users don’t know what they are talking about. That doesn’t give anyone an excuse to further spread ridiculously incorrect and misleading information.
    Bob, you need to calm down. Have a glass of wine. I'm not the first to say that there is a lot of "ridiculously incorrect" info "out there". Lots of camera companies -- decades ago -- claimed to have "automatic exposure" when, in fact, you had to do certain things first -- like set the f-stop or shutter speed or more. Today, most photographers call them "automatic exposure cameras", while purists call them "semi-automatic exposure cameras". Then the purists go take a cold shower. I'm not making an excuse for anything that is "inaccurate", but that is hard enough to define -- let alone "ridiculously".

Right now, I'm going to take a pill, and then use my fully automatic camera -- which I guess is really not fully automatic since I have to turn it on.

[QUOTE=xkaes;1408702]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post

Bob, you need to calm down. Have a glass of wine. I'm not the first to say that there is a lot of "ridiculously incorrect" info "out there". Lots of camera companies -- decades ago -- claimed to have "automatic exposure" when, in fact, you had to do certain things first -- like set the f-stop or shutter speed or more. Today, most photographers call them "automatic exposure cameras", while purists call them "semi-automatic exposure cameras". Then the purists go take a cold shower. I'm not making an excuse for anything that is "inaccurate", but that is hard enough to define -- let alone "ridiculously".

Right now, I'm going to take a pill, and then use my fully automatic camera -- which I guess is really not fully automatic since I have to turn it on.
    Original automatic cameras were either aperture priority automatic or shutter priority automatic. Both were automatic exposure systems compared to earlier cameras requiring the user to have to set both aperture and shutter #peed. Either by referring to an exposure meter, a chart or experience. Later programmed automatic cameras were introduced that set both aperture and shutter speed for the user. All three systems were, and still are, fully automatic systems. All also work best if the user knows if they want to capture fast movement or if depth of field, or lack of it is of primary importance or if they are willing to let the camera make the decisions for them.

However this has nothing to do with your perpetuating incorrect information about auto focus on an enlarger that never had it.

Back in the day Kodak commissioned Margret Burke White to use her Rolleiflex TLR to shoot typical family scenes to illustrate the advertising, flyers, ads and packaging fo4 their series of 127 and 620 Brownie cameras.

The only problem was that the cameras she used allowed her to have complete control of capturing action and control DOF, but the cameras that were sold from her photography didn’t allow the user to do that. I was in retail then and had to constantly explain why a disappointed Brownie owner had to spend quite a bit more to have that type of control with a manually adjustable camera.
    If they were happy with record shots they were happy with the Brownie, if they wanted images like the ones on the Brownie packaging they had to spend more and learn some basic photography.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leicaauto.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	170172

I guess this all depends on how you define >>> "your perpetuating incorrect information" <<< Shouldn't that be "you're perpetuating ridiculously incorrect information"?

Believe me, I have much more important and enjoyable endeavors. I trust you do, too. Better yet, watch a Marx Brothers' movie! I will.
    Last edited by xkaes; 28-Sep-2017 at 11:07.

Omega also made a 45% mirror attachment for the D-series enlargers. My copy of 1976's "The Photography Catalog" shows it on page 103. Judging from the picture, it might be adaptable to the CB7. I have no idea if Omega still makes it. If you want, I'll scan the page and email it to you if you want to explore that route.

Okay, I just ran a search for the Omega mirror attachment. KHB in Canada has 2-it's Omega part # 429-070 and KHB's stock # 9-429-070. Looking at the picture KHB had, it should be fairly easy to adapt to a 4" Beseler lens board with drilling 2 holes and tapping them for screws to hold it.

First of all, I don't need a 90-degree enlarging device. I have one. I was merely pointing out that Beseler made one -- which at least fits on its CB7 enlarger.

I just checked, and what I thought was a Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach device (see original picture) is, in fact, a Marexar Squintar (on the box) and Asanuma Squintar (on the device). But it looks and acts just like the Spiratone Circo-Mirrotach, so it's not much of a stretch to assume that they were made on the same assemply line. (And, after all, Spiratone simply sold products made by other companies and re-badged as "Spiratone" -- for example, the Spiratone 500mm f8 Minitel which was a rebadged Yashica 500mm f8 DX.) The Squintar is designed for use on a taking lens, but works fine on an enlarging lens, as well. It is undoubtedly easier to find and afford than either the Beseler or Omega devices -- which will only attach to certain enlargers -- but attaching the Spiratone/Asanuma device might be simple or not.

The Spiratone/Asanumas were sold with a Series adapter of your choice. Mine has a Series 7. This allows you to convert up or down to whatever filter size you need for you lens. It also allows you to rotate the mirror to get the angle you want. So all you need to do is match up your enlarging lens(es) to a filter size of your choice or a Series adapter. Some enlarger lenses lack a front filter thread, such as my Minolta enlarging lenses, but I was able to solve with "problem" with a little bit of ingenuity and silicon sealant.
    Last edited by xkaes; 29-Sep-2017 at 06:03.

Xkaes...just trying to help !