Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Contact printing question

Re: Contact printing question

The benefit of using multigrade paper should not be underestimated. Ilford multigrade filters can be purchased in size 6x6in which is big enough to cover a 4x5 negative.

Dave Karp

I agree with John. Once I started using the Printfile proofer, I never went back to the contact printing frame.

At one time I did contact printing in my bathroom. Set trays up in the tub. Placed the printing frame on the counter and flipped on the room light and timed manually. It worked just fine.
    The simplicity of contact printing is overwhelming.

John & Dave, does the negative sleeve page cause any issues when you use the Printfile Proofer? Thanks, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    John & Dave, does the negative sleeve page cause any issues when you use the Printfile Proofer? Thanks, Jon
    I always take my negatives out of the sleeves, so I couldn't say.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

Same with me. I just lay the paper and negative on top of the foam and lower the glass on top of them.

John & Dave, thanks. That's what I thought (remove negs from Printfile Proofer sleeve); had made a couple with 35mm neg proof sheets earlier in the day, but it was a pain to organize the strips and when I google for Printfile Proofer, it pictured negs in sleeve.

Keep us posted on your progress, I am interested in this

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wilson View Post
    John & Dave, thanks. That's what I thought (remove negs from Printfile Proofer sleeve); had made a couple with 35mm neg proof sheets earlier in the day, but it was a pain to organize the strips and when I google for Printfile Proofer, it pictured negs in sleeve.
    I also make proof sheets with the negatives/slides in the plastic holder -- because they don't need to be perfect, just usable. For real prints, I always take them out, as the plastic deteriorates the image, of course -- but I've never made a REAL contact print, as I always use an enlarger for prints -- even for small ones.
    Last edited by xkaes; 22-Sep-2017 at 07:38.

New Orleans, LA

If you are going to do contact printing in silver you might as well do it right and print on a true contact printing paper: Lodima. It is the replacement to AZO which was one of the many silver chloride papers around when Weston, Adams, et al, were doing their contact printing. (Adox also makes a silver chloride paper, Lupex, that is very nice). Check out these articles by Michael A. Smith: http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/azoamidol.html and http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/onprinting.html. They will explain how best to use these papers. Alternatively, you can try cyanotypes, platinum/palladium, kallitypes, or any of a number of alternative processes. You don't need an enlarger for any of this. Just a bulb for Lodima/Lupex and the sun or a UV light source for the alt prints. Contact prints are great because you get a direct representation of the tones and details in the negative. Good luck!