Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Contact printing question

Re: Contact printing question

I find that I develop my negatives for the same time when I intend to either PT/PD print them, or use Lodima Grade 2 - for me, about 50% longer.

Lodima Grade 3 is the same development time as I use for conventional papers.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    I find that I develop my negatives for the same time when I intend to either PT/PD print them, or use Lodima Grade 2 - for me, about 50% longer.

Lodima Grade 3 is the same development time as I use for conventional papers.
    Hi Bruce

I remember how we would process our neg's to print on a certain paper , and for years it was a perfect method to go by, I usually made prints on a grade 3 which tells me my neg's were a bit softer...
    I would not panic if I had a negative that needed a grade 2 or if in between split with soft developer..

These days a lot of this common logic has been lost... I just printed a silver print about Grade 2 from a digital dodged and burned enlarged negative from my digital device.. I am going back to that thinking for
    Contact printing and I think this is where Michael and Paulas Lodima fixed grade papers will be the bomb. after time it will be a piece of cake tailoring for the paper and let PS do the rest in between.

I will not stop split printing on VC paper with my enlargers but a whole new world of printmaking is now open to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Bruce

I remember how we would process our neg's to print on a certain paper , and for years it was a perfect method to go by, I usually made prints on a grade 3 which tells me my neg's were a bit softer...
    I would not panic if I had a negative that needed a grade 2 or if in between split with soft developer..
    Yup, a development time test is pretty easy to do, and nails the time to print on a given paper and grade. That's what I did with Lodima, and my other go-to papers. It helps keep things simple. I need simple.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com