Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Highest quality enlarger

Highest quality enlarger

Hey Jose,

The fine focusing gears on the Saunders tend to wear out over time. In my case it was exacerbated by the use of the focusing extension wand that puts additional strain on the gears. Fortunately you can replace the whole setup at a fairly reasonable price by ordering the fine focusing attachment for the 6700 series enlarger: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=45757&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    Note that it works on the 4500 series too. Also, make sure the chassis friction screws are not set too tight as this tends to strain the gears as well.

Highest quality enlarger

Another vote for the Omega 2D, with the variable condenser head. Solid, quick and easy to use.

Highest quality enlarger

Phil, thank you very-very much for your notice! I have already make a note for my BH´s next order. I feel very dissapointed each time I need to focus... that´s just what I needed to know!!

Re: Highest quality enlarger

I'll put in a vote for a 8x10 horizontal Devere enlarger

but you need space to keep it...

It works wonderfull for large printing

greetings

Marc

Drew Wiley

Compared to a classic Durst enlarger in good condition, everything else is a toy. Nobody could afford that kind of machining anymore. The trick is to find one in good shape, or know how to fix one.

I vote for De Vere, either 4x5 vertical, or 8x10 vertical or horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Compared to a classic Durst enlarger in good condition, everything else is a toy. Nobody could afford that kind of machining anymore. The trick is to find one in good shape, or know how to fix one.
    I agree. I have had a Durst L1200 since the mid-nineties - it is a pleasure to use it; never a problem. I paid full price for it back then and it wasn't easy but I have no regrets. I still have a Durst PRO that my students now use: in continuous use since the mid-1970's. Students can be rough on equipment: still perfectly aligned. Everything else I have used in the past seems like pieces of metal screwed together to make an enlarger - except the LPL. The LPL seems well designed and easy to use. Get the best you can afford - a good enlarger will last a lifetime.

I have Dursts, LPL/Saunders, Omega, Focomat and De Vere, and I've printed on a bunch of others.
    For me, the Dursts stand out as the smoothest, most hassle-free and reliable companions I have ever worked with in the darkroom. At times I have printed one neg after another for hours, checking focus after changing negs, and never (or very rarely) needing to modify the focus from one to the next. That shows a steadiness and consistency that I never found in other enlargers. One of my Durst 4x5's has never required re-alignment since the 80's. Engineering like this, the Italians do particularly well.
    The other brands are fine too.
    As others have said, it's more important to get so familiar with the workings of your own equipment that your hands know what to do, and leave your eyes and senses free for drawing out the image.
    There are some amazing deals on fine used equipment these days. Have fun!

I'm an Omega man. D3 and D5. They are easy to maintain, modify and find parts for. I have my D3 bolted directly to my workbench, very solid. Did I mention they are cheap?
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Drew Wiley

My first enlarger was a 4x5 Omega with colorhead. I still use it, mostly for 4x5 black and white work. These are indeed a good buy and hold up well. But you can get from
    point A to point B in a VW Bug as well as a Ferrari. And the Durst is the Ferrari. I bought two Durst chassis, one in good condition, the other for parts; but both have
    now been completely refubished. I also have a big 8x10 color enlarger of my own design. But let's put things in perspective: an Omega enlarger in good condition might
    run you a grand or less; a really clean or boxed late Durst is going to run you anywhere
    from fifteen to a hundred grand, depending on the format and accessories - if you can
    find one. Most of the Fleabay bargains you see are pretty ratted out. Let's just say
    that if I run into a clean Durst Chassis for two to four grand, I'm certainly not going to
    tell anyone else!