Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire

Re: New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hey djdister

if you are into classic new england mills and industry-stuff ... there are lots in new hampshire,
    not just in man-chacha (manchvegas), concord, nashua &c
    but all over the place. if you go to the society of industrial archaeology website
    they have some information not just on new hampshire sites but stuff throughout
    the region ( mass, vt and ri too ) new england is pretty compact and ez to do a day trip to visit stuff ...
    That sounds really interesting, I'll check it out, thanks!

Winters will be colder and snowier than Maryland, but you will be amazed at how efficiently the roads are cleared after a snowstorm.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Winters will be colder and snowier than Maryland, but you will be amazed at how efficiently the roads are cleared after a snowstorm.
    Good to hear. I've got an all wheel drive car, and I've driven on snow before (NY, CO, KS)...

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Good to hear. I've got an all wheel drive car, and I've driven on snow before (NY, CO, KS)...
    You've got plenty to learn -- I bet you've never heard of "frost heaves". Just ask an old-time Down Easterner, and watch out for "Frost Heaves" signs. But they do have a positive side. When you run into one -- because the plows can't plow the snow off of them -- you can set up your camera gear and take pictures of the tow truck crew!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frostheaves.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	170112

David Schaller

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    Growing up in NH, I'm appalled by the road plowing in Vermont. Avoid Vermont after a storm!

Maine has better beaches in many cases, yes. Hampton is really the only scourge of a beach town in NH though. The others in NH are nice, just Maine has more coastline in general.

re: Snow - even with AWD, your best bet is get a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. It makes a huge difference over all-season tires.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    I'd suggest heading toward the White mountains too. There's some nice rural areas to explore along the ME/NH border inland. Looks like you'll have lots of little town/state forest areas to explore nearby.

Maybe I'm spoiled (most likely), but the coast of NH is crowded dirty sprawl that doesn't come close to Maine's beaches. The marshes between the beach and the solid land seem much more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Schaller View Post
    Avoid Vermont after a storm!
    I agree. Let some other guy get the shot.

Brother and his wife live in upper NH... the town of Hebron. Population just short of 500. When up there visiting them, I take many photographic excursions. Destinations usually streams and waterfalls based on studying USGS topographic maps of the region. Major waterfalls have been photographer thousands of times over the years... am looking for more intimate waterfall locations. On my mini SUV have mounted a small platform on top of the roof racks. Allows me to get more overhead shots of side of the road scenes. Shooting with an 11x14' view camera on a tripod on a platform on top of my SUV sounds a bit scary, but is a very stable operation in.... For long hikes, just take the Nikon D4 with a couple of lenses and make enlarged digital negatives to print Platinum/Palladium. Once hiked in on a class 5.1 trail/climb with my 8x10 in a backpack, and swore many times then never to attempt that again.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Once hiked in on a class 5.1 trail/climb with my 8x10 in a backpack, and swore many times then never to attempt that again.
    You GO, guy!

I've been up the Adam's Slide Trail in the Presidential Range in NH -- I don't think they show it on the maps nowadays. Now THAT was tough -- and I was NOT carrying a LF camera. But I did go down the North Bass Trail on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with a 4X5. That was even tougher. OK, going DOWN was easy, getting back up was Hell -- and I had to carry all my water. I'll never do it again, but I'm glad I did.

Keep Truckin'

I enjoy getting a New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer, and trying to find the good streams for photography from the maps. Now I do it with my Maine one, but our streams are not as pretty as many I have found in NH. It's like a treasure hunt - not always successful, but I have a good time anyway.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com