Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire

Re: New Hampshire

Out here in the woods, we have black fly and mosquitoes season. There is weekend tourist season also
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

I'd suggest heading toward the White mountains too. There's some nice rural areas to explore along the ME/NH border inland. Looks like you'll have lots of little town/state forest areas to explore nearby.

Maybe I'm spoiled (most likely), but the coast of NH is crowded dirty sprawl that doesn't come close to Maine's beaches. The marshes between the beach and the solid land seem much more interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodda Duma View Post
    You are relocating at just the right time, with fall coming. Hit the Kankamagus Highway to view the fall colors in about two weeks. Also -- for starters -- look up covered bridges and use that as a guide to explore the state. Wear hunter orange this time of year if you go out in the woods.
    -Jason
    And don't put antlers on your view camera. Just sayin'....
    Read a comment once when in a new location to look at available post cards for the area for ideas of locations/subjects. (Not composition!)
    You simply cannot go wrong. It was when I lived in NH that I found great fascination and a decent composition with the trash cans behind my apartment. Anything can look good in New Hampshire...

There is a time in the fall when the change toward winter is very pronounced. The light changes; the sky changes. You will know it because you can feel it within you. If you can use that mood swing as a springboard, I think you will do well. Even if you don't get great images right away, observe. Watch the light, the weather, the trees. What you learn now will guide you in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    I'm going to be relocating to New Hampshire (Concord/Manchester) for a new job soon - any suggestions regarding LF "must-shoot" locations, local LF groups or resources?
    You lucky person! It would take a lifetime to see all the great scenes in NH. It is not only lovely, but relaxed with great people. I spent years in my youth hiking NH, and some memorable business trips later. And you are by the ocean, and wonderful neighboring states with a lot to offer. Very best to you and yours.

Would mind sharing with us where you are moving from?

Jac

A good friend of mine who lives in the Concord area has spent much time photographing those white churches with his 8x10 camera... we have wandered the southern part of the state a bit. As he says, "it's a target-rich environment".

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    You lucky person! It would take a lifetime to see all the great scenes in NH. It is not only lovely, but relaxed with great people. I spent years in my youth hiking NH, and some memorable business trips later. And you are by the ocean, and wonderful neighboring states with a lot to offer. Very best to you and yours.

Would mind sharing with us where you are moving from?

Jac
    Oh, sorry for leaving that bit out. I've been in Maryland for 27 years, so I'm used to the change of seasons. A longer Winter will be an adjustment, although in my past I have lived in Rochester, NY, Denver, CO and Manhattan, KS, so I'm no stranger to some weather...

From the NH State Parks website, I've seen a lot of promising landscape locations to visit, although I am also interested in classic New England structures too.

Thanks...

[QUOTE=djdister;1408322]Oh, sorry for leaving that bit out. I've been in Maryland for 27 years, so I'm used to the change of seasons. A longer Winter will be an adjustment, although in my past I have lived in Rochester, NY, Denver, CO and Manhattan, KS, so I'm no stranger to some weather... /QUOTE]

Even as a southern lad, I was able to adjust to the NH winter without too much difficulty. But it was the two weeks of summer that threw me off!

JP is right on about the coast of Maine, all 3440 miles of of it. He lives in a beautiful location, just look at his work.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    JP is right on about the coast of Maine, all 3440 miles of of it. He lives in a beautiful location, just look at his work.
    Agreed about the Maine coastal areas - and there's just so much of it! I'll put it on my photo trip itinerary.

multiplex

hey djdister

if you are into classic new england mills and industry-stuff ... there are lots in new hampshire,
    not just in man-chacha (manchvegas), concord, nashua &c
    but all over the place. if you go to the society of industrial archaeology website
    they have some information not just on new hampshire sites but stuff throughout
    the region ( mass, vt and ri too ) new england is pretty compact and ez to do a day trip to visit stuff ...