Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire

New Hampshire

I'm going to be relocating to New Hampshire (Concord/Manchester) for a new job soon - any suggestions regarding LF "must-shoot" locations, local LF groups or resources?

Thanks!

New Hampshire

Welcome to New Hampshire! Not sure where you're moving from, but the state is very scenic. Everywhere you turn there will be something to photograph.

You are relocating at just the right time, with fall coming. Hit the Kankamagus Highway to view the fall colors in about two weeks. Also -- for starters -- look up covered bridges and use that as a guide to explore the state. Wear hunter orange this time of year if you go out in the woods.

Look up the Photographic Historical Society of New England.

-Jason
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: New Hampshire

As Jason said, there's lots of scenery in NH - the White Mountain National Forest, with many ponds and some decent waterfalls, as well as a bit of seacoast, and a good number of state parks. Some of the small towns are picturesque if that's more your thing.

As far as groups, Jason already mentioned PHSNE, which is based in the Boston area but has members all over the world. In NH there's Camera Commons in Dover (I need to check them out some time) and the New Hampshire Society of Photographic Artists. They all have websites.

Thanks for the tips. The PHSNE sounds great because I am also a collector (who isn't?). I'll also pay a visit to Camera Commons - looks like they have a variety of opportunities worth looking into. Looking forward to some great road trips that aren't really long distance...

About an hour's drive north on Rt. 93 from the Manchester/Concord area will bring you into Franconia Notch, featuring some great scenery, trails, waterfalls, etc. Heading further north through the notch, take the Twin Mountain exit and head up to Rt. 302...take a right on this and you'll soon be heading past the Presidential Range and into Crawford Notch...with more great trails, waterfalls, etc. ...And don't forget that you can head east for the coast! Good luck...and I'd welcome you to contact me (click website link) for further suggestions.

I'll also second the above suggestion to check out Camera Commons...and, despite my address in Vermont, I'm a member of the NH Society of Photographic Artists (NHSPA), a wonderful group of kindred spirits!

Welcome to NH.

Like Jason mentioned, not knowing where you are coming from, but we have 4 seasons. So the same shot can be very different from one season to the next. There is the coast, with Maine and Mass close by. Foliage is starting up right now and so are the crowds. Great hiking if that is your thing. The Monadnock region is another area.
    Principal Unix System Engineer, Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    The Monadnock region is another area.
    This area, as well as the White Mts. are beautiful. But timing is everything. The last time I tried to get to the Monadnock area -- a couple of years ago during foliage season -- all the roads were parking lots. After a couple of hours trying to drive only 40 miles, we gave up. Same with the White Mts. Just one of the reasons I live in Colorado.

Welcome to NH. As mentioned, lots of good things to see and shoot. I am near Camera Commons, have been there several times (probably will join soon, mostly to get access to the scanners and printers). Great bunch of folks.

Manchester is probably my least-favorite part of NH, Concord is nice enough, but the mountains and the seacoast are the most interesting areas I think.

I don't know of any LF-specific groups though there are some analog photo meetups and things of that nature. Lots of interesting things to shoot though, esp. if you are open to new experiences.

-Ed

And don't neglect Vermont. It's not too far away, fewer touristas, same terrain, even more maple trees, lots of old church steeples, wooden bridges, creeks, and town greens -- if you are into that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Dick View Post
    but we have 4 seasons
    Summer, Winter, Mud, and.......what's that one between Mother's Day and Father's Day called?

Charley,

who's just a Summer NH resident, and getting ready to return to NY.
    Gotta peal off the Sox decals and put on the Yankees ones and practice saying Na Yawk instead of Nu Yahk.