Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Camera suggestions:?

Re: Large Format Camera suggestions:?

Quote Originally Posted by adrienne223 View Post
    However, there aren't any places around me where I can look and learn about it.
    Where are you located?

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Dave Karp

You will get lots of advice here, that is for sure. I get that you want a camera that folds into a box. That makes sense. That desire may change over time, but it is a reasonable path to take.

I recently purchased a Wista VX that folds into a box. I really like it. It has lots of movements. An older Wista DX has fewer movements and is available for less $. Toyo 45A, AII, and AX are also options. Horseman also made similar cameras, but I am not very familiar with them. Older press type cameras like the Crown Graphic and Speed Graphic are good options at lower prices, but they offer fewer movements. If you don't want to use extensive camera movements, a good Crown Graphic is an excellent option. These cameras generally allow you to use a 300mm lens max, and that only at infinity. If you want to focus closer, 240mm is about as long as you can go. (I believe that the Horseman cameras of this type had even shorter bellows than the others I mentioned. Others can confirm.)

All that being said, I am glad I started with an inexpensive monorail. It helped me to learn how to use all of the available movements and figure out what type of camera(s) I wanted in the long run.

bhalajephotography

You can use the GRAFLEX Super Graphic 4x5 Camera with Graflex Optar 135mm Lens and Flash Arm which is very useful for large format camera.
    wedding photographers in chennai
    https://bhalajephotography.com/

Whatever you buy, you will likely replace it within a year, so don't by something that you can't resell ( and don't pay stupid money), or something with low demand. I'd stick to a wooden folder like Wista, Tachihara, or Zone VI or the like. Plentiful, cheap and resellable. You can go with Intrepid if you want new, but the resale price will likely be less than what you pay. The lenses you're more likely to want to keep, so buy them in recent Copal shutters.
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 20-Sep-2017 at 09:42.

In 1984, I bought a Wista DX as my introduction to LF. Figured I'd replace it with something better after I learned.

I recently replaced the bellows on it. I never replaced the camera. It does everything I want to do.

I have added to it with 8x10s and a 5x7, but they don't replace my go-to Wista.

Take the plunge.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Whatever you buy, you will replace it within a year.
    I guess I'm an exception to your "rule". I bought my first 4x5 over 35 years ago -- a TOKO NIKKI II -- without ever seeing or using a 4x5 before. I did a lot of research first -- well before the days of the Internet -- and it paid off. I liked my first TOKO camera so much, I later bought another -- a TOKO FL-452.

http://www.subclub.org/toko/

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I guess I'm an exception to your "rule". I bought my first 4x5 over 35 years ago -- a TOKO NIKKI II -- without ever seeing or using a 4x5 before. I did a lot of research first -- well before the days of the Internet -- and it paid off. I liked my first TOKO camera so much, I later bought another -- a TOKO FL-452.
    http://www.subclub.org/toko/
    Wonderful! To the OP, there you have it, an unsolicited testimonial to buy a Toko (Nagaoka) which you'll likely keep for 35 years! I too have cameras I bought 40 years ago (Deardorffs) but they weren't my first LF cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Wonderful! To the OP, there you have it, an unsolicited testimonial to buy a Toko (Nagaoka)
    First, Nagaoka made a very FEW late model TOKO cameras, but not many.

Second, I was not suggesting to anyone to buy a TOKO. You have to figure out for yourself why you read that into what I wrote. My point was, and still is, to do some research on what is available before you put down your cash -- whether hard earned or not. That way, you are less likely to go through the trouble of needing a replacement.

I also wrote on this thread:

"Much comes down to how much time you have for research, and how much money you have in your pocket. My advise? Don't believe anyone that says "this is the camera (or lens(s) -- that's another matter) that's best for you."

which you intentionally (?) neglected to mention.
    Last edited by xkaes; 20-Sep-2017 at 11:43.

I'd start with a press camera and a good lens. I did with a Bush press camera and after a short time sold it. I got it back a few decades later and made it my travel camera. I put a Fuji 125mm lens on it and love them together. Sometimes simple is better.

Super graphic would be my suggestion. Not too expensive, reasonably light weight, generally nice cameras. The Super has front tilt, which is something you will want.