Up to now my wide angle lenses for my whole plate camera has been my120mm f/8 Nikkor-SW, which since it covers 8x10, allows a generous amount of movement.

I was looking for an extreme wide angle lens for Whole Plate to be had for a reasonable price, and gave up a little while back. But then recently I bought a 90mm f/4.5 Nikkor-SW for my 4x5. Have always wanted a 90mm for my 4x5, and finally came across one for a very reasonable asking price from a dealer in Japan. Glass was mint. Outside of barrel had a bunch of rub marks on it... no big deal there. As with all my lenses I wanted to see what its coverage was so mounted it on my 8x10 and proceeded to the place where I always test my lenses at

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ce+test+lenses

To my amazement the 90mm Nikkor actually covered "at infinity" my final matted image size of 6"x8". So it does not completely cover a whole plate negative, but it does cover the size of my matted whole plate contact prints. Obviously with closer subject matter, it will cover the full 6.5"x8.5" whole plate format.

Would love to hear from any Whole Plate photographers out there who might be using a Schneider Super-Angulon Multicoating 90mm XL F/5.6 Lens.... Possibly it might just cover a bit more than my Nikkor and intern cover the full Whole Plate 6.5"x8.5" negative.

thanks
Greg