Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copal shutter

Re: Copal shutter

Quote Originally Posted by 12pmc View Post
    Thanks guys. The locator hole is a good idea. It's the first time I have ever seen these locator holes.

Peter
    Many photographers use their lenses without pinning them to their lensboards. Try it yourself and you will see that the pin is not necessary if you fasten the retaining ring (best so with a lens spanner!) well. You will have an intact lens board and fully functioning lens too. Kill two birds with one stone and be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    Many photographers use their lenses without pinning them to their lensboards. Try it yourself and you will see that the pin is not necessary if you fasten the retaining ring (best so with a lens spanner!) well. You will have an intact lens board and fully functioning lens too. Kill two birds with one stone and be happy.
    Just as an aside, neither Linhof or Wista supply boards with the locating notch and since, at least 1986, Rodenstock lenses and Rodenstock supplied shutters do not have the locating screw. Linhof supplied lenses have not been supplied with the locating screw since, at least, 1980.

I know Bob, as I use Linhof/Wista lens boards with all my lenses that don't go to my Arca Swiss lensboards (without a lens pin them too). Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfsor View Post
    No, it's not such a good idea. By drilling a virgin ArcaSwiss lens board you condemn it to just this lens.
    Fastening the retaining ring is a better solution and works well for the practical purpose.
    Nonsense.

The screw hole is bisected by the retaining ring clearance hole edge is properly drilled.
    That area is completely covered by the retaining ring when the lens is installed.

There's no possibility of a light leak, so no reason to fill the hole if it's unused.

There's no way to "fasten" the retaining ring unless you glue it to the lensboard.
    Doing so would not prevent the shutter from turning if it had no anti-rotation screw installed properly.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    There's no way to "fasten" the retaining ring unless you glue it to the lensboard.
    Doing so would not prevent the shutter from turning if it had no anti-rotation screw installed properly.

- Leigh
    All photographers using lenses without locating pins must now be fully converted by your wisdom. You tried so hard.