Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6

Re: Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6

That's what I'm thinking. Though I have also found a Rodenstock Apo 150mm f5.6 sironar - N, this is more expensive but I've heard it's sharper; further searching will be done.

I've reported now, I wouldn't have figured that out so cheers!

Supposedly the Sironar-S is the sharpest of the modern 150s. What differences will be apparent on the negative/print is a different question. The oft-cited LF lens test HERE shows the APO Symmar having better resolution in the corners than the Sironar-N at wider stops. Interestingly it shows the older Symmar-S besting both at f/22, and even edging out the Sironar-S! IMO it's all splitting hairs and shooting test charts at close distances is pretty irrelevant to real-life photography. The above portrait was shot at f/11 and it is definitely extremely sharp so yeah I guess I can see the APO Symmar's excellent performance at middling f/stops. You can't go wrong with any of them. I also have a featherweight G-Claron 150mm that is impressively sharp and a good option for ultralight hiking, and was the cheapest 150 out of all of them - $75 in a Copal Press shutter. It's all up to your wallet at a certain point.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

JoshuaT

I have the Schneider 150 APO lens and its excellent, in my experience produces very good results. It is small and light and readily available on ebay get one!

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Supposedly the Sironar-S is the sharpest of the modern 150s. What differences will be apparent on the negative/print is a different question. The oft-cited LF lens test HERE shows the APO Symmar having better resolution in the corners than the Sironar-N at wider stops. Interestingly it shows the older Symmar-S besting both at f/22, and even edging out the Sironar-S! IMO it's all splitting hairs and shooting test charts at close distances is pretty irrelevant to real-life photography. The above portrait was shot at f/11 and it is definitely extremely sharp so yeah I guess I can see the APO Symmar's excellent performance at middling f/stops. You can't go wrong with any of them. I also have a featherweight G-Claron 150mm that is impressively sharp and a good option for ultralight hiking, and was the cheapest 150 out of all of them - $75 in a Copal Press shutter. It's all up to your wallet at a certain point.
    Not a valid test and does not include more recent lenses. The results of this test has so many variables that no two testers can duplicate the results. Lens manufacturers and serious publications stopped using this test protocol decades ago. Furthermore the test target is not the type of subject most of the test lenses were optimized for which further diminishes the test result. Go compare MTF, fall off, color and distortion curves to accurately compare lens performance.

As I stated, I don't find the test useful with regard to real photographic outcomes. Just pointing out that it exists. The point I am making is that all of the modern 150mm lenses, including those from Nikkor and Fuji as well that have not been mentioned, are excellent lenses and they can all be used successfully to make sharp images. So the OP should buy whatever fits his wallet, and perhaps consider things like size/weight, filter size, etc. within his LF kit.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Threads merged. OP, only one thread is needed. Ask us to edit the title if necessary.

Rick "cleaning up" Denney

Re: Schneider APO Summer 150mm f5.6

Nah this is good, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Karp

A Caltar II-N is a great deal. It is a rebranded APO Sironar-N. Another good choice is a Fujinon NW.

If you can, go for a Rodenstock APO Sironar S. More expensive but you'd likely never sell it.

Just took a shot with it from 2 feet and it's the sharpest image I've ever printed. I thought from that close there would be some issues but I can't see any.