Thread: What sizes of Kodak hard rubber tanks were made?

What sizes of Kodak hard rubber tanks were made?

I use one hard rubber tank, approximately 1/2 gallon capacity, to fix and wash one sheet of 4x5 at a time, on a stainless hanger. Pretty simple and I would guess a pretty common method.

I don't like using 1/2 gallon (approx 2l) of fixer for convenience reasons, with black and white. Also, I have a mind to assemble a dip'n'dunk arrangement for C-41 4x5 using hard rubber tanks, one tank per bath. But I don't want to heat up and manage 1/2 gallon quantities of each solution. Think of a slot processor, but for film on hangers, each slot having 1 liter or less of solution. Very low volume, normally one sheet of film at a time.

Is a 1/4 gallon hard rubber tank on the market? I want to experiment with these if there is such a thing. I could alternatively fabricate something out of acrylic, etc., but that project not on my priority list at the moment. Is there a common surrogate 1 liter capacity tank for 4x5 dip-n-dunk systems?

Re: What sizes of Kodak hard rubber tanks were made?

What about steam table pans? A 1/6 "sixth" pan 6 inches deep holds about 1 liter. Does a single 4x5 stainless hanger fit so that the film is immersed? Might have to look at these at the local restaurant supply.

I like that the steam table pans are metal and therefore conduct heat well, which helps with temp control for C-41.

Quote Originally Posted by chassis View Post
    What about steam table pans? A 1/6 "sixth" pan 6 inches deep holds about 1 liter. Does a single 4x5 stainless hanger fit so that the film is immersed? Might have to look at these at the local restaurant supply.

I like that the steam table pans are metal and therefore conduct heat well, which helps with temp control for C-41.
    Most likely the photography chemistry would cause any metal that is not Type 316 Stainless Steel to rapidly rust or contaminate your chemistry.

As Sgt. L.C. Ross once said, "Most of them are inert. However, some are ert."

I would watch For Sale websites such as here or Craigslist in major cities for purpose made Stainless Steel tanks made by firms such as Arkay, Kodak, etc.

if, (IF!) memory serves me correctly, I do believe Arkay made narrow Stainless Steel processing tanks such as you are asking about. But finding some on the used market these days is going to be difficult.

Look for floating lids, too.

Back in the '80s and '90s, there used to be companies that bought and sold used photo lab equipment but I believe none are still extant.

With that said, give the folks at Quality Camera here in Atlanta and Columbus Camera Group in Ohio a call. I know both of them deal with the used photo gear market.

The other idea that I have is it might be possible for someone in the world to custom make some Type 316 Stainless Steel tanks plus floating lids. But, that might prove to be expensive.
    Last edited by AtlantaTerry; 16-Sep-2017 at 13:58. Reason: Polishing my prose.

Thanks Terry. Looks like the Arkay 45-2 is roughly the same fluid volume as a Kodak hard rubber tank. The Yankee "utility tank" is also around 2 liters.

If there is such thing as an Arkay 45-1, or half the size of the 45-2, that is that I am looking for. I did some searching and nothing came up for this.

I'll keep looking. It's a nice to have at the moment.

So, how many sheets/hangers do you want to process at once??? If you want to process a hanger rack of 8, you need to use the 2 Ltr tank to fit, but for a single hanger, you only need a top opening slot of 1" to 1 1/2" (and a tank with less volume)...

Vinny here would make custom tanks, or Terry above once suggested going to dollar stores and trying to find Tupperware type containers that would be about right for a hanger or two...

My tip is to use smaller tanks that are easier to empty, so you can pour out the chem into bottles after your session, so you can clean the tanks instead of letting solutions sit and dry along the waterline and does not leave stains/deposits that are hard to remove... (Keeps 'em kleeen!!!)

Steve K

Thanks Steve. I normally process one sheet at a time, for both b&w and C-41. I'll take a trip to the dollar stores. Custom tanks would be the ticket. Not sure I would like the price though.