Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 x 12 film

Ray Van Nes

5 x 12 film

This winter I am planning to convert my Seneca 5 x7 to a 5 x12. One can get film from the Ilford ULF but as I have missed this year, I will net get film until next fall. I have discovered that there is dental x-ray film in that size which I am testing but the round corners are kind of cheesy. I have asked pierre506 what are the possibilities of getting 5 x 12 from Shanghai. He said it would have to a minimum order of 50 boxes.

So the question is, are there enough other users out there to put together an order?
    Ray

Re: 5 x12 film

Cutting down 11x14 to 5x12 would be an option -- being able to do so under a safelight is a plus. I have cut 14x17 down to 7x17 with no problems (rotary cutter).

Good luck in finding film and/or folks to go in on an order!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

The Photo Warehouse website (http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ilshfiacst.html) is showing 5x12 HP5 Plus in stock - worth a query to see whether that's for real. You could also check with the other dealers that participate in the Ilford program to see if any have extra stock. Finally, keep an eye on eBay - once in a while I see vendors selling off excess or slightly outdated Ilford ULF stock.

Ray Van Nes

Thank you. Another member sent me a Private message about Ultrafine and I have purchased 2 boxes.
    Cheers
    Ray

Re: 5 x 12 film

Excellent! Good luck with your conversion project - let us know how it goes.

Once upon a time, Kodak made Aerial Reconnaissance film 5" wide in long rolls. If you can find a long roll, usually 250 feet long of the Plus X or best of all the Panatomic X you just roll out 12" in the dark, cut and load. Beautiful film. I just got a big cache of 9.5X250 ft. XX out of Russia. Just going out to develop my first 5 shots on that stuff. The faster film ages faster. The panatomic has a crystal clear base even at 20 years old.

10x12 film would reduce to 5x12 with just one cut. I'll look to see if I still have some floating around...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Van Nes View Post
    This winter I am planning to convert my Seneca 5 x7 to a 5 x12. One can get film from the Ilford ULF but as I have missed this year, I will net get film until next fall. I have discovered that there is dental x-ray film in that size which I am testing but the round corners are kind of cheesy. I have asked pierre506 what are the possibilities of getting 5 x 12 from Shanghai. He said it would have to a minimum order of 50 boxes.

So the question is, are there enough other users out there to put together an order?
    Ray
    Hi!!!

If you don't mind me asking about the X-ray film you bought, what is the radius of the corner cuts??? I was planning to buy some 5X12 green Fuji to use with my Al Vista 5X12 pano camera, and I figure I could also cut it down to smaller sizes, like 4X5, 3X4, 2X3, etc... Do you have something precision to measure exactly how big your sheets are??? Thanks in advance!!!

For my Al Vista, I used to cut down sheets of 11X14 pan film without too much waste, and would use the remains as film for test exposures, so not bad... I think I was getting Kodak Ektapan (wholesale) back in the 90's, but I figure you could wait for the Ilford ULF film run...

Nice format, and you should have fun with it!!!

Steve K

Ray Van Nes

Hello Steve. The radius looks to be about 1/2" radius. I cut some down to test as 4x 5 and the corner is significant. As I have found some HP5 from Ultrafine, I am thinking of using this film to make darkroom negatives for platinum printing. I have some Chinese landscapes that might work with round corners. My initial test with Pyrocat 1:1:100 at 8 min shows at 50 ASA still too thin. What was also interesting is that the film is blue. Not certain if that is an issue.
    Cheers
    Ray

Ray Van Nes

Thank you Will. I did find some HP5 from Ultrafine.
    Ray