Thread: Adapting a survey tripod for 8x10

Senior for sure

Adapting a survey tripod for 8x10

My Slik handles all of my cameras just fine, is light enough for packing in, even for my 8x10 Cambo. BUT, the Cambo is really pushing the upper load for the tripod. Now, I don't pack in a 8x10 Cambo very far - I'm looking at reasonable walking distance (more than once) from my truck. (now, if a nice lightweight wooden 8x10 should magically appear, this could all change, but the house needs a roof ). I'm noticing that aluminum framed survey tripods are around 60-70 bucks new, and I would think they would be ultra sturdy, weigh about 9 pounds. They're set up for a 5/8" centre bolt and would need an adaptor plate for the camera, but they seem to be an inexpensive base around which to set up something without having to spend the price of, oh, 8x10 film. Anybody play with these, successfully?

I have used a wooden survey tripod for my 8x10 for 6 months. (Bought at a pawn shop for $10.) I broke the screw handle off from underneath the mounting plate, and replaced it with a 3/8 bolt and wide washer. I have put a Manfrotto 488RCO ball head on top. It works fine if my subject, orchids, are lower than 48 inches. It is very sturdy for 8x10. I walk through the swamps with it, and the wood hasn't ruined yet. And when it does, big deal. There goes another $10.

Jay

there is an outfit called Dutch hill that makes surveyor tripods. They have metal and carbon fiber. they hawk one fancy one for photos, $490 list, you can get it cheaper from a dealer, and our local surveyor supply sells tripods for $50 or so for a metal one.

Dutch Hill has a web site.

I would think a trip to some large engineering company or surveyor office would turn up a wooden one they would give you if you got

lucky.

Paul, earlier this year I bought a wooden K&E surveyor's tripod, marked 3 1/2 x 8, at a yard sale. It cost all of $10. Turns out that its top is threaded 3.5" x 8 and has a 3.5" steel disc with a 3/8" hole that's retained by a now somewhat battered plastic retainer that screws down to hold it in place. It doesn't have a built-in level.

I spent a couple of evening cleaning it and waxing it, then put a Bogen 3115 (Manfroto 198) leveling ball and a 3047 head on it. Getting everything to lock up really tight is difficult. I think perhaps lubricating the threads would help. As is, its usable.

I tried it out, decided it was not what I needed. For some reason, possibly because I used a ball from one 3115 and upper section from another and they don't mate well, as I set it up the 3115 had too small tilt range. In addition, when I tapped it, it "rang" for a while. This was a surprise.

So I broke down and bought a Berlebach 8023G. Not quite the Berlebach of my dreams, but since I have a leveler I don't really need a tripod with one built-in and the price was very, very right.

You might consider getting a Berlebach. If you want my K&E and live not too far from Philadelphia -- I'm actually in Cherry Hill -- I'm sure we can arrange something. I don't offer to ship my K&E because (a) it will be a pain to pack, (b) I think you can get a better deal than it plus shipping where you are, and (c) I'm not 100% sure it will meet your needs. But it is big and heavy and strong.

Cheers,

I picked up an aluminum surveyor tripod from another photographer who had custimized it with some straps for carrying. It works great with my monorail 8X10, and is light enough to carry some distance from my truck.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Look around a little harder and you can find contractor tripods that have 1/4-20 screws (I've got one sold by Porter Cable). Alternately, with most of these you can remove the screw with slight disassembly, and any machine shop should be able to either turn and rethread the original, or fabricate a replacement for a reasonable charge.
    If a contact print at arm's length is too small to see, you need a bigger camera. :D

To keep the excellent stability of the surveyor tripod, find a head which have a base plate adequately big enough (= larger diametre than big centre hole of surveyors tripod top-plate) to rest smoothly on the tripods main plate, not needing
    any in-between plate or levelling head (both these kind of "adaptions" steals stability). I now use a aluminium surveyors tripod of the cheapest kind (what you probably find for $$ 60 in US) using a german Lumpp low-profile 3 way head on it for a very stable set-up. Big 5/8" or something screw is exchandged for standard 3/8" + washer - no more adaptions needed on that end. However, I have shortened my tripod to perfect camera-heigth (& least possible weight) by drilling out all rivets (rivets is aluminium: just a few seconds drilling out each rivet), shortening all tubings about 25cm or so (don't remember) then drilling new holes & riveting everything in place. Used a few hours to do that customizing, now having a more portable & lighter 8"x10" tripod of unbeatable stability. On my tripod, a tripod strap were allready attached & tripod ready to go. By the way - the Gitzo 570 or 1570 is the head I would have reccommended for this type of tripod. The LUMPP head I use is perfect for my use/tripod, but I can not advice You to look for this one as I have never seen this head for sale any other time or place (bought mine used on german ebay).

Hi, I have recently adapted a surveyor's tripod by removing the 5/8" screw and replacing it with a 1/4"-20 eyebolt, two lock nuts and two washers. Any 1/4"-20 bolt approximately 3-4" long would do, but I found that the "eye" gave me something to grip on while turning it. I can send you (or anyone else who is interested) photos of the arrangement if you'd like. (I'm new to this and not sure how to include them with this reply). I have not had much opportunity to work with this arrangement, however, I agree that in theory it should work. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Re: Adapting a survey tripod for 8x10

As a 45 and 810 user and as a surveyor, I very much aware of the reason for the difference in prices between survey tripods and photography tripods. Survey tripods are much lighter as they're made for carrying greater distances. As a consequence they vibrate much more. It's horses for courses. It will be a false economy adapting a tripod for other uses.

Re: Adapting a survey tripod for 8x10

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Crigan View Post
    .....Survey tripods are much lighter as they're made for carrying greater distances. As a consequence they vibrate much more.....
    Concerning the aluminum survey tripods, I would agree. However, my wood Sokkia survey tripod with long spikes is much heavier, and much more stable, than my Gitzo 410, and I much prefer the wooden survey tripod for 4x5 and 8x10 field work.