Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Show and panel discussion -- East SF Bay, CA (PhotoCentral Hayward)

Re: Show and panel discussion -- East SF Bay, CA (PhotoCentral Hayward)

I stopped by and sat in the over flow section but couldn’t stay for the whole panel. I wanted to say hi to Sandy... Sandy I bought the leaf scan sapphire glass from you a few years ago. Sold it and moved up to a drum scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nbagno View Post
    I stopped by and sat in the over flow section but couldn’t stay for the whole panel. I wanted to say hi to Sandy... Sandy I bought the leaf scan sapphire glass from you a few years ago. Sold it and moved up to a drum scanner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very sorry that I did not get to meet you in person. The period of time just before and after the panel discussion was rather hectic.

I do remember that you purchased the Leafscan sapphire glass from me a few years ago and still follow the scan forum so am aware that you have moved to drum scanners. I had moved to a drum scanner shortly before that time, a Howtek D4000, and later acquired a Howtek 7500. But the Leafscan 45 was a great scanner for small and medium format film with the sapphire glass as one could get real resolution of very close to 5000 dpi with two-pass stitching. I get better smoothness with the drum scanners, but actual resolution is not as great.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

I hope PhotoCentral makes this a yearly affair. The show and pop-up show were fabulous. The panel discussion was excellent and even had an overflow audience.

The workshop was booked full instantly and was outstanding ... I have done 3 of Vaughn's workshops (and 1 of Jim's) and the preparation and pre-made tissues are always excellent ... and the participant/instructor connection is low key and very effective. The whole carbon process ... including having the students make and print on their own tissues is covered. Having Vaughn and John for the prep and full workshop made it doubly good. Having Sandy and Jim there as well was like Christmas for a carbon printer.

I attended the workshop as 4th bottle washer and was amazed at the amount of very nice final images produced by the students. With all the extra hands and insights the students could spend all their time producing. Hopefully some of the images will get posted in this thread.

And what a treat to have 4 carbon gurus there to bounce questions off and to listen to as they answered participant's questions. This will be a hard one to repeat but I sure hope they can do it again next year.

It was a great experience and workshop. Thanks to all who helped and gave of their time!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	170569

What a motley crew we made! Thanks for posting the image!

I spent today preparing for and then giving a carbon printing demonstration to some members of a SF Bay Area LF group and some delightfully assorted other folks...including my nephew and his son, coming up from San Jose. So, a great group, perhaps a dozen including me. And they actually got to see a print made -- despite a mal-functioning timer on the UV unit (5000W). The exposures should have been about 15 minutes. After about 30 minutes, I manually stopped the exposure. After fiddling with the timer, next exposure was accidently 90 to 120 minutes long...I had forgot to look to see if it had turned itself off. Too much over-exposure (plus other possible problems), but it served its purpose for demonstrating the transfer part of the process -- and the first exposure was developed and came out as expected...a little bit richer, actually, but I am afraid dry-down will dull it a little. A 11x14 image of redwoods.

I ended up developing the second print later -- stripped the emulsion from the print and stuck it on some glass. I'll see what it looks like tomorrow.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

LAST DAY: "Made By Hand" is SPECIAL CLOSING HOURS AND BOOK RELEASE: Sunday, November 26 from 12-4 pm

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....c-660b19e8bdc2

One of my clients is hanging a show at Photo Central in March, large prints , Carissa is going out there to meet with people and see possibilities.

Thanks!!! I'll be there (and making some last-minute carbon prints to end my Artist-in-Residence!)
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    One of my clients is hanging a show at Photo Central in March, large prints , Carissa is going out there to meet with people and see possibilities.
    I'm glad the introduction worked! Kate and Geir are fine folks.