Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: W.A. Enlarger Lens for 5X7?

Re: W.A. Enlarger Lens for 5X7?

Whatever cranks your tractor. It's your time and money you'll be wasting, not mine! It's still dumb IMHO!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bean.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	169828

And, by the way, you're crazier than Mr. Bean if you think you can possibly put a true circular fisheye lens on a 4x5" camera! You'll just be wasting your time and money, not mine -- IMHO.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37mm.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	169829

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/gonefishin.pdf
    Last edited by xkaes; 15-Sep-2017 at 04:33.

Gee and I thought we were talking about enlarging lenses!

Tim Sandstrom

I may be just a noob, but I use a Rodenstock 150mm on a Durst 138s, and it works fine.
    Does it fall-off in the corners? Not that I could tell. But I only print up to 11x14.

My mistake. I thought we were talking about tractors!

Quote Originally Posted by dasBlute View Post
    I may be just a noob, but I use a Rodenstock 150mm on a Durst 138s, and it works fine.
    Does it fall-off in the corners? Not that I could tell. But I only print up to 11x14.
    Light fall-off happens with enlarging lenses too -- especially the ones marked, "W", "W.A.", etc. or are shorter than you would expect. That's one of the reasons some use lenses longer than you might expect, like a 150mm for 4x5" vs a 135mm lens. It occurs no matter what size print you make, but the original poster wants to make prints larger than 20x30" without going horizontal.

I considered using a 240 G Claron to enlarge 8x10, but even wide open at f/9 it is pretty dim on an enlarger.
    If you've got one, give it try.
    I found that for my use, Copy Paragons are excellent performers as well as being quite a bit faster and far less expensive.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Why not try reversing a 'taking' lens such as a 150mm Apo Sironar or 135mm Fuji-W or 110mm Symmar-XL... or whatever you have on hand? It can't hurt to try. Reversing a taking lens should (I think) make an excellent mural enlarging lens.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Light fall-off happens with enlarging lenses too -- especially the ones marked, "W", "W.A.", etc. or are shorter than you would expect. That's one of the reasons some use lenses longer than you might expect, like a 150mm for 4x5" vs a 135mm lens. It occurs no matter what size print you make, but the original poster wants to make prints larger than 20x30" without going horizontal.
    Obviously you have no experience with the WA Rodenstock lenses. The 120 Rodagon WA out performs the 135 and 150mm Rodagon lenses without falloff. You should try one sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Obviously you have no experience with the WA Rodenstock lenses. The 120 Rodagon WA out performs the 135 and 150mm Rodagon lenses without falloff. You should try one sometime.
    You are absolutely right that I have no experience with the WA 120mm. I'll have to trust you on the other part, since all I have is a 135mm Fujinon EX and a 150mm G-Componon -- so I have no reason to "try out" the WA 120mm, anytime soon.

But the original question was about a wider lens for 5x7 -- and the Rodenstock literature lists the WA 120mm for 4x5".