Thread: Various Windowless software products for graphical artists

Toowoomba, Queensland

Various Windowless software products for graphical artists

Recent issues with Adobe has led me to start putting more time into learning alternatives. I thought I'd share some options with you all here.

I use Linux for various security-related reasons in my everyday work and have done so for a number of years. WikiLeaks revelations in recent times have confirmed my choices.

This list is not exhaustive and I give a rating as to the useability of the software. As many would have seen, software outside the Windows platform can be very pre-historic in the look and feel but there are exceptions.

GIMP - nightly build v2.9.7 - (9/10) full bit depth and very scarily capable for digital image manipulation and digital art creation. Steep learning curve ahead.
    Scribus (9/10) for seriously capable desktop publishing. Steep learning curve ahead.
    Inkscape (8/10) for scaling vector graphics - svg files. Less steep learning curve ahead.
    VueScan (9/10) scanning software. I purchased it almost 10 years ago.

If anyone feels there are better alternatives or other softwares then pitch in ! Things are looking a bit serious now in this space. The alternatives to mainstream are taking shape and becoming a serious threat to the establishment players. Cost of the above is a Pro license of Vuescan. Another year or two and its all over.

Attached Files Attached Files