Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New article: overview of color digital printing

New article: overview of color digital printing

Interesting article. Needs some editing though. I can't comment on the technical side.

Hey bob! SInce you are not going to be using the stuff in your fridge how about shipping it to me. I am a teacher, would call it a donation to my classroom (it would be since this is where the darkroom is) and you could take some money off your taxes. What do ya say?

Tim,

You're almost correct about the Lightjet outputs. Standard use though is 305dpi. The other res settings are 200 and 406. A lot of people blather on about using 400 or higher in the case of inkjet. I've found that with the unaided eye, anything more than about 360 dpi is wasted. For inkjet, tonality may seem to improve with using the native (in Epson's case) 720dpi.....the problem is that the paper, regardless of type, is not smooth enough to actually record that amount of detail. Interpolating a 360dpi image to 720dpi will give you the same effect on the output side. It's not added detail, it just the effect of the driver and the laydown of the ink.

The output gamut of the Canon 9900 is superior to the Epson series....at least with the old ultrachrome. I haven't used the new 7800 series yet. Proofs that I've done with my 9900 have not exhibited any fading using Canon ink. Mounted, behind glass, with Ilford RC Pearl has been rated at about 34 years. Depending on your needs, this may proove to be sufficient. I tend to lean towards the pigent inks. The slight difference in gamut is still better than cibachromes I used to do and the inkjets last longer.

As to the article, I can't add anything that's already been said.

"You're almost correct about the Lightjet outputs. Standard use though is 305dpi. The other res settings are 200 and 406. "

apart from being 1dpi out... that was the point I was making. "Standard" onthe lighjets is 305dpi (and I think 300 on the Chromira?) but "standard" tends to be 200dpi on the Lambda - which to my eye gives a noticable difference even on small prints
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

I'm sure some would claim to see the 1 dpi difference ;-)

200 dpi is rather light for a small print. For a 32x40 though, it's more than sufficient....unless you like to leave nose prints on the glass!

Cheers,