Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Re: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sorry about the fish, but that's symptomatic of being close to roads and campgrounds. There are lots of trout around, but you need some distance between you and the crowds. Now it's the start of deer season. There are plenty of deer too, but they're smart enough to keep well away from the roads. I think more hunters get shot in the Sierra than actual deer. Golden trout are beautiful and fight a line, but frankly don't taste that great. The Walker river drainage has native cutthroat trout. I rarely fish anymore because the best times of day - sunrise and sunset - conflict with favorite photo light. The legendary spot below Virginia Lks for huge rainbow trout is Hot Creek, but it's strictly catch n' release. Sorry I couldn't tell you that in advance, but I was deep in backcountry the last two weeks.
    It's all good Drew. We just didn't know our way around the good fishing spots yet. I've never caught a golden and was hoping too. We just catch and release anyway. Need a local with us next time for sure.

I was feeling sorry for the folks we saw heading off into the backcountry that had to deal with that snow. We were at 10,000 feet and had more than I would like to hike in. I can't imagine what it was like higher up!

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    The weather in the Sierra is as unpredictable as a baby's bottom!
    You ain't kidding, went to bed under cloudy skies and woke up with my three season tent collapsed on me with snow!

Drew Wiley

Six out of the last seven years I've had snow on my "summer" vacations. I grew up in the Sierra, so am fully accustomed to it. Unfortunately, I don't know of any place with native golden trout near a road. They like to be pretty high up, just like me!