Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Re: Eastern Sierra camping locations?

Erik, this time of year finding a space at Trumbull Lake shouldn't be a problem. there's even a website ---
    https://www.recreation.gov/camping/T...O&parkId=70349
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Preston Birdwell

Trumbull is quite nice, I have camped there a couple of times. I'll also vote for Lundy.

If you are in the Virginia Lakes/Lundy area it is a short hop to Bridgeport. There is a reservoir there that is fed by the East Walker River. The fishing there is said to be excellent. Take Hwy 182 (Sweetwater Road) north out of Bridgeport. Of course, Bodie is in the same general area.
    --P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

A fly fisherman? Walk to Golden Trout Creek and Volcanic Creek in the Golden Trout Wilderness Area. South of Lone Pine as I recall and a not too difficult hump over the front of the range to the Golden Trout Creek watershed - probably daytrip-able. Hold one of these jewel-like fish in the palm of your hand and admire it's beauty. Sure you can catch much larger versions stocked in high altitude lakes around the world but this is the source.

Thanks folks! I think we'll take the advice of Lundy or Virginia Lakes if we can get a spot. Seems like they check the right boxes for this trip. Perhaps try the golden trout wilderness, that sounds fun but I'm with others and my wishes aren't always granted! For sure gonna try the walker river. The 8x10 is coming along so I'm sure I'll have plenty to keep me amused.
    Thanks again for the helpful suggestions

bhalajephotography

i would like to suggest Kerala.One of the best pace for outdoor shooting.
    wedding photographers in chennai
    https://bhalajephotography.com/

If the trout aren't biting, you can go look for Edward Weston's tripod holes at Lake Ediza, but IIRC they closed the road to Ediza awhile back.
    Last edited by John Kasaian; 25-Sep-2017 at 15:19.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Had a good time at Virginia lakes except for the snow one night. Thanks for the suggestions!

My fishing buddy is still looking for the elusive golden trout!

Good camping suggestions.
    Time permitting try a caddis or hopper in Hot creek for brown trout.
    http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=7375

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Atkins View Post
    Good camping suggestions.
    Time permitting try a caddis or hopper in Hot creek for brown trout.
    http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=7375
    Back home now. We fished the east walker and the west walker river. The west walker was a beautiful river to fish but I swear there are no fish in there. We didn't even scare any fish didn't see any sign. The west walker was better for us. We also fished the lakes above Virginia lakes as well as Virginia creek. It was a good time but our fishing wasn't that productive unfortunately.

Drew Wiley

Sorry about the fish, but that's symptomatic of being close to roads and campgrounds. There are lots of trout around, but you need some distance between you and the crowds. Now it's the start of deer season. There are plenty of deer too, but they're smart enough to keep well away from the roads. I think more hunters get shot in the Sierra than actual deer. Golden trout are beautiful and fight a line, but frankly don't taste that great. The Walker river drainage has native cutthroat trout. I rarely fish anymore because the best times of day - sunrise and sunset - conflict with favorite photo light. The legendary spot below Virginia Lks for huge rainbow trout is Hot Creek, but it's strictly catch n' release. Sorry I couldn't tell you that in advance, but I was deep in backcountry the last two weeks.