Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brief introduction

A brief introduction

Hello, all!
    My name is Rob. Chef by trade and consider my self an "unabashed amateur" photographer. I harbor no pretensions to being the next star and am not thinking to make photography my career. I want to continue to shoot mainly to enjoy something creative that is essentially for me.
    My career is creative but it is literally creative on demand: my work day consists of many variations of "make me something to eat."

Learned 35mm starting with my granddad's Argus in the late 60s and have (sort of) progressed from that.
    For the last few years, I had been thinking about moving up and slowing down and hadn't made that happen as 4x5 was big jump in expenses for what is a hobby and I couldn't quite justify it. However, early this year two things came to my attention that changed that equation in my favor:
    The Intrepid 4x5 camera and the Stearmann daylight tank. These two things made it a reasonable possibility to both shoot 4x5 and to process in my small apartment. Bought one of each, a truly basic lens, and the other assorted bit and pieces and dove in. Have just about finished the first 25 sheet box of HP5+ I decided to start with.

So here I am. Absolutely new to 4x5 but not new to photography in general.
    I will be reading a good bit of what's here before I ask too many questions--in fact, I've read a bunch already as I'm trying to work out a basic methodology for my self.

Thanks for having me!

Rob

Re: A brief introduction

Welcome, Rob. I don't own an Intrepid 4x5, but I've heard really good things about it. It should serve you well.

Have fun!

Another word of welcome from me, Rob.

I jumped back into LF photography after a hiatus of ~25 years due to fathering children. Meantime, some things had changed. While my situation is unlike yours in those respects, I want to mention the help I have got in settling my darkroom workflow. Lots of good posts here. I have benefited from Doremus Scudder's posts, especially those that he has contributed in the last year or so. And the data sheets from Ilford (chemistry, paper) have helped a lot, too.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Alan,
    I chose the Intrepid for a few reasons. In large part it was because of the relatively inexpensive price. As well, I wanted an actually new camera--the last new camera I bought was my Bessa R and while I have a few () other film cameras, none of those were new when I got them. Not a bad thing but that does come with its own issues.
    Cheap, new,and, lastly, lightweight.
    I don't know much about LF photography yet, but I do know a bit about woodworking and the Intrepid is pretty well done, I think. It's no Ebony or any other "top line" wood field camera but it is good enough for me.
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Collins View Post
    Another word of welcome from me, Rob.

I jumped back into LF photography after a hiatus of ~25 years due to fathering children. Meantime, some things had changed. While my situation is unlike yours in those respects, I want to mention the help I have got in settling my darkroom workflow. Lots of good posts here. I have benefited from Doremus Scudder's posts, especially those that he has contributed in the last year or so. And the data sheets from Ilford (chemistry, paper) have helped a lot, too.
    Thank you for this, Peter!

Rob

Welcome to the group, Rob. I am also getting back into LF after a 25 year break. However, I did work as a photographer before and was pretty experienced in film processing. Life, kids, and health issues sidetracked me. I switched to digital about 10 years ago, but never really lost my love for film. I have an old Calumet C-400 view camera that has been sitting on a shelf and recently picked up a Crown Graphic that is in good shape. I don't have a darkroom any more, but I got some chemistry and a daylight tank, and some TMax 100.

After a recent heart surgery and other issues, I guess I'm taking stock of life and realizing that all the automation and convenience of digital is less than satisfying. There's something about taking my time setting up a view camera and creating a photograph that just feels better to me.

The Intrepid looks like a decent light weight camera that should serve you well. I've been reading this forum daily and have found a wealth of information and encouragement. Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Dave Williams
    Kansas City, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by rbiemer View Post
    Cheap, new,and, lastly, lightweight.
    Hi Rob,

Exactly the reasons why I'm perched on the edge of my seat waiting for my new Intrepid 8x10 to arrive! Now that I'm in my mid-60's, lugging a pack with my 8x10 Deardorff and several lenses, plus all the other paraphernalia is getting a bit much. I still do it, but I'm looking forward to paring down the weight with the Intrepid and a couple of small Fuji A series lenses. I'm really hoping it will be here in time for fall foliage.

Welcome aboard!
    Soooo---whatcha gonna take pictures of?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Alan9940 View Post
    Hi Rob,

Exactly the reasons why I'm perched on the edge of my seat waiting for my new Intrepid 8x10 to arrive! Now that I'm in my mid-60's, lugging a pack with my 8x10 Deardorff and several lenses, plus all the other paraphernalia is getting a bit much. I still do it, but I'm looking forward to paring down the weight with the Intrepid and a couple of small Fuji A series lenses. I'm really hoping it will be here in time for fall foliage.
    I've been pretty happy with the camera but, the stated lead time when I ordered my 4x5 was nothing like how long it actually took for me to get my camera.
    I'm hoping Intrepid are getting better about this but when I ordered, the lead time was stated as 6 weeks. My camera took 10 1/2 weeks to arrive here in upstate NY.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Welcome aboard!
    Soooo---whatcha gonna take pictures of?
    Stuff like this, mostly:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tinkers falls v7a.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	169645

The negative looks much better than this scan, I am very much a beginner at scanning!
    Of the 10 or 12 photos I've made so far, this is the best. There is some more detail in the highlights on the tree trunk, I just need to sort out my scanning. I am concurrently attempting two different ways with what gear I have now--Vuescan with my crappy flatbed or "scanning" with my digital camera. Neither is perfect but my end goal is to wet print so the scanning is mainly for the few photos I'll want to put on line.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rbiemer View Post
    I've been pretty happy with the camera but, the stated lead time when I ordered my 4x5 was nothing like how long it actually took for me to get my camera.
    I'm hoping Intrepid are getting better about this but when I ordered, the lead time was stated as 6 weeks. My camera took 10 1/2 weeks to arrive here in upstate NY.
    I'm glad to hear you've been pleased with the camera because I'm hoping I'll be as happy with the 8x10...we'll see. Lead time was months for me, anyway, as I was part of the Kickstarter campaign. Last I heard, they should start shipping our cameras next month.