Hi,

Are there any forum users which use Vuescan on a PC to scan 4x5 negatives at 6400dpi on an Epson flatbed?

I'm using an Epson V800, latest Vuescan version (on a Win 10 Pro 64 bit PC with 16GB RAM) - and have no problem choosing the 6400 resolution in the interface, but the image files produced are only 3200 dpi. I do get 6400 dpi files from 6x7 medium format without problem. I found a 5 year old thread to this topic here on the forum, but without any clear-cut solution at the time other than scanning parts of the image separately and then stitching them together - which I would be keen to avoid.

I have increased the 'image memory' size setting in prefs, to more than 9GB, which should be plenty I believe, but without success.

I do realise that many people suggest that scanning above 3200dpi with the Epson flatbeds won't give you additional image quality, and I do respect that oppinion. I would be keen though to scan at the highest optical resolution possible (6400) and then to reduce file size in PS - even if just to compare the results. So if you have encountered the same problem and managed to solve it, or even if you have just from the beginning been happily achieving 6400dpi at 4x5, it would be great to know your settings!

Some people might suggest going to a Mac, and I do have that option, but it would simplify things greatly for me if I could get this to work on Windows.