Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revoked key Adobe Photoshop CS6 / GIMP nightly build

45-57-617

Revoked key Adobe Photoshop CS6 / GIMP nightly build

Hi,

I spent over $700 in Nov 2013 for an 'old' but new copy of Adobe Photoshop CS6. I had 4 years with the software fully acknowledged / registered by Adobe. Until yesterday.

They revoked my key. The software is either a very, very good copy of the original or it is genuine. I have the box and all the slips of paper.

In the online conversation (I was not particularly happy - nor polite - I must say) I was offered a 'discount' to upgrade to the latest product which as we all know is 'in the cloud'. This, of course, is a complete security risk.

Needless to say, no software or digital piece of work that I own is on the cloud nor every will be. I ain't stupid. Nor do I ever use a software rental model. Good luck Adobe. You'll piss enough off to break the company eventually.

I see on other forums that Adobe is doing this to quite a few customers. I am quite of the opinion that Adobe hates its obligations to those who refuse to go onto the cloud and is quite aggressively pushing them to drop the cloud-free software. Adobe along with buddies Microsoft and Norton are my most avoided software companies. It looks as though I have been scammed in the original purchase or I am being abused by Adobe. I prefer the latter.

I do happen to also be on Linux for 99% of my computing which, as you know, is free. Forever.

I have been looking at but not exploring the abilities of GIMP in the nightly-build version for a number of years. I guess I'll need to look at it more thoroughly now.

Anyone else using GIMP 2.9.6 and above ??

Cheers,

Steve

Re: Revoked key Adobe Photoshop CS6 / GIMP nightly build

Just wait till the financial markets turn and those subscription rates start dropping. Have you tried Affinity Photo?

You can easily bypass the CS6 license checks, and keep using it if you want to. (Most people just bypass them from the get-go and pirate the software but in your case you would have a legit reason for configuring it this way, since you really do have a license.). The same can be done with Adobe CC.

Just as an FYI, the Creative Cloud apps neither run from the cloud nor store your data there. You download the apps and install them locally, and do all your work locally. No need or reason to upload anything to the 'cloud'. They simply "phone home" every month or two to check license status. (And people are able to bypass this too, not that I condone or recommend doing so, but it's trivially easy.)

I can't tell you how many times -- going way back to the 1980's -- when I would discover "bugs" in bought-and-paid-for software. It just would not do what it was supposed to do, or did it WRONG. I would contact tech support (not just one company) and show them the proof. Their answer was always the same -- "We don't support THAT version anymore. If you upgrade to our latest version (AKA, send us more money) , we will try to "address" your issue. In any other business that I can think of, if you sell a defective product, or one that doesn't do what it claims to do, you are liable and can be dragged into court. Not so for software companies.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    [...] In any other business that I can think of, if you sell a defective product, or one that doesn't do what it claims to do, you are liable and can be dragged into court. Not so for software companies.
    Given that this is an internationally available forum, it is pertinent to mention the German law regarding software liabilities. Should the same be adopted in the USA I would expect some serious changes for the better - perhaps at greater consumer cost.
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 29-Sep-2017 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    Hi,

I spent over $700 in Nov 2013 for an 'old' but new copy of Adobe Photoshop CS6. I had 4 years with the software fully acknowledged / registered by Adobe. Until yesterday.

They revoked my key. The software is either a very, very good copy of the original or it is genuine. I have the box and all the slips of paper.

In the online conversation (I was not particularly happy - nor polite - I must say) I was offered a 'discount' to upgrade to the latest product which as we all know is 'in the cloud'. This, of course, is a complete security risk.

Needless to say, no software or digital piece of work that I own is on the cloud nor every will be. I ain't stupid. Nor do I ever use a software rental model. Good luck Adobe. You'll piss enough off to break the company eventually.

I see on other forums that Adobe is doing this to quite a few customers. I am quite of the opinion that Adobe hates its obligations to those who refuse to go onto the cloud and is quite aggressively pushing them to drop the cloud-free software. Adobe along with buddies Microsoft and Norton are my most avoided software companies. It looks as though I have been scammed in the original purchase or I am being abused by Adobe. I prefer the latter.

I do happen to also be on Linux for 99% of my computing which, as you know, is free. Forever.

I have been looking at but not exploring the abilities of GIMP in the nightly-build version for a number of years. I guess I'll need to look at it more thoroughly now.

Anyone else using GIMP 2.9.6 and above ??

Cheers,

Steve
    Unless you make your own software, you do not own any software. All software is licensed in a certain way. If you owned it, you could use it, sell it, use it on as many PCs are you wanted, etc.. What you buy is the agreement to use the software in a certain way.

If you like CS6, I'd find a way to way to bypass the error as others have suggested. The cloud version is really not cloud software, it's more marketing and billing change than anything. I bet it's less of a security issue than running old non-updated software. (Adobe has some dark history when it comes to security of their older products)

Any software bought from Amazon during the past few years seems highly suspect as to it's authenticity. We have bought copies of Windows or Office which aren't available new, and most of the time, it's not legit and Amazon ends up refunding us. It's such a pain we don't buy software except through the software vendor or an authorized dealer. I too prefer free software like Linux for most things, but I do have to help other people with their systems.

Anyone else using GIMP 2.9.6 and above ??]

Hello from France

I've been using GIMP under linux for more than 15 years, but mostly for simple tasks. The most complex task that I did was assembling tri-chromatic B&W images to get a color image.

GIMP 2.9.X are unstable versions, but I have successfully built linux version 2.9.4 from source code to check how the Gimp will behave in the future with 16-bit images.
    So far the simple tasks I did were OK with 8-bit images and I can wait for a future stable 10.x version.

I also occasionally use DARKTABLE for simple color corrections, it is easier and more intuitive to use than GIMP for this kind of image post-processing.
    And I have never used any commercial software for digital image processing but I'm just an amateur; since I do not sell any or my images, I'm not hard-pressed by competitors using commercial software to be as productive and efficient as they are

Tim Sandstrom

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    I was offered a 'discount' to upgrade to the latest product which as we all know is 'in the cloud'. This, of course, is a complete security risk.
    Steve
    Your statement about the supposed security risk of the Adobe's subscription-based version of PS is completely false.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

I bought CS3 new from Adobe and registered it. About 2 years ago I replaced the desktop and monitor and reinstalled the software. Then I started getting message to register the product but when I clicked "yes" I got the message that I wasn't connected to the internet when I was. So I clicked "register later" rather than "never register." Once, when I clicked "register now" it took me to the register site where I supplied the required information. But it has reverted back to the former. I haven't called Adobe about it because I get access to the program but I surmise that the whole thing is a marketing technique to upgrade.

Thomas

CS3 was made free from adobe some time ago.