Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lens caps for Kodak WIDE FIELD EKTAR 135mm f6.3 Lens

Lens caps for Kodak WIDE FIELD EKTAR 135mm f6.3 Lens

Hi all,

I bought another older lens, this time the Kodak WIDE FIELD EKTAR 135mm f6.3 lens, and again the lens is coming without lens caps (I am putting together a light weight 4x5 kit for rock scrambling). I again looked online and could not find a mention of the size lens caps that this lens takes or the outer diameter of the front and rear lens elements. Does anybody know what size lens caps that this lens takes?

Also, I did read that the lens takes Series VII Lens Filters (I think that the specific threaded diameter was 50.5mm) and that a Series VII -> 52mm Lens Filter Adapter exists. Does anybody know where I can find this lens filter adapter?

Namaste,
    Daniel

Re: Lens caps for Kodak WIDE FIELD EKTAR 135mm f6.3 Lens

Dan,

I don't know of a source for caps - I have an unrelated suggestion:

Get another 135mm lens for your rock scrambling and save the (larger and heavier) WF Ektar for architectural work and other work that needs a larger image circle.

The WF Ektar has much more coverage than the (smaller) Plasmat 135mm lenses and is at its best when you need more movements. It is, however, larger and heavier than any of the Plasmats (I think the Rodenstock Sironar N is about the smallest). Plus, the Ektar's coatings are a bit more prone to scratch damage than more modern coatings and should be pampered a bit; not what you're likely thinking of doing when rock scrambling. It is getting harder and harder to find a clean example of the WF Ektars these days, especially the 135mm. It is unique in that focal length and nothing similar is being made any more.

Good luck finding caps!

Doremus

I have a Series VII-52mm adapter ring for my 135 WFE. It wasn't easy to find 25 years ago but they must be out there. My rear cap is a generic plastic push-on type. I used to go rummaging in the junk drawers of camera shops to find things like these- a shame that that's not really an option any more.
    Last edited by Mark Sampson; 9-Sep-2017 at 11:58.

Small town, South Carolina, US

I use generic lenscaps or sometimes bottle caps on my 135 wide field ektar.

S.K. Grimes can make caps for lenses.
    The front of my two Ektar Commercial lenses have been adapted to take common thread filters and lens caps.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Doremus: I already have a Fuji CM-W 135mm f5.6 lens. I was hoping that the WFE would be smaller or at least a little more expendable if I dropped it on a ledge or something dumb that I occasionally do. When I say rock scrambling I mean using my hands and feet for climbing. Not Alex Honnold type climbing, but climbing that is less involved than using ropes or hanging on by your fingernails.

Mark: thanks for your encouragement; I will keep looking for the adapter ring.

rfesk: yep, I am planning to get generic lens caps. I just need to know the outer diameter of the front and rear elements to order the correct size caps. Worst case scenario is that I measure the lens elements when the lens arrives sometime next week. I was hoping to order the lens caps and have them ready when the lens arrived since I am not sure I can locate a lens filter to screw on to the front element to prevent unnecessary scratches.

Renato: I am looking at SK Grimes as my fallback position if I cannot find some generic lens caps online.

Namaste,
    Daniel

Dave Karp

The CM-W would be smaller if Fuji did not decide to make most of that series use 67mm filters. A 135mm Caltar II-N would be an awesome lens and available at a good price. Should be much less expensive than a 135 WF Ektar. Smaller image circle though. If you like Fujinons, a 135mm NW series would be a good choice as well.

Off-topic, I guess, but the earliest Fujinon-W has an image circle 1mm smaller than the WF Ektar, and is a ridiculously tiny, and cheap, lens. (46mm filter size, too)
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I have a Sonia 54 to 55mm adapter on my 135/6.3 WF Ektar... I bought it many years ago here: http://www.camera-filters.com/

The only Series VII I currently see is this: http://www.camera-filters.com/index....oducts_id=7299

Photographer

Get an inexpensive dial or digital caliper (e.g., Harbor Freight) and measure the barrel size. Every LF photographer should have a caliper. You can find many sizes of slip on caps at B&H--Kaiser is a good brand. Don't buy Schneider caps--I have found some differ in actual size versus stated size.
    Keith Pitman