Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon - Leaning Toward Argentina or NZ (Early February)

Honeymoon - Leaning Toward Argentina or NZ (Early February)

Hi all,

Received LOTS of great advice on where to go in CO for popping the big question. Well, it happened at the end of July, and she said yes, so here we are.
    Any travelers out there have some advice on helping us boil down a location?

We do love the outdoors and exploring, I love my photography, obviously...but want to make sure to enjoy the honeymoon and time together. Not shooting the entire time. Alas, this is a honeymoon, and since we won't live together until after the wedding we plan to relax and not be too fast paced/traveling non-stop during our trip.

Things To Note:

• Probably 14-17 days total for the trip.
    • Wedding is Jan 28th, a Sunday. So we would leave the 29th or 30th.
    • I am not a fan of the beach much, but the lady is. She loves the mountains too. Both of us love Yosemite. Ahh...could live there.
    • We do want a nice mix of exploring and relaxing.
    • Not on an insane budget, but do want to do our best at being mindful of that.
    • Would prefer not to go full out camping/backpacking (think more day hikes)...that way it limits us traveling with stoves/tents/etc.
    • We enjoy wine and beer and stuff like that. Not much for bars/clubs/dancing/nightlife. We would rather grab a bite and go sit in the park to eat just talking. Or walk around town.
    • NZ is very appealing and beautiful, but would consume lots of travel time.
    • We assume Argentina is gonna be cheaper, overall.
    • If Argentina, we would love to see Torres del Paine and Patagonia
    • NZ does seem to have such a wide variety of things to see. While Patagonia is HUGE.

Wherever we go, I figure it would be nice to fly in to somewhere and stay 3-4 days in a place, relaxing, drinking wine, etc. Then move locations, perhaps a home base for the next week or so, and go exploring and stuff from there.
    Or drive/fly to one or two spots. For the most part try not to travel every other day, but, get a decent mix of seeing various sights, yet not feeling like we are traveling non-stop. Neither of us really want to be in the same spot for 14 straight days either though.

Any advice at all is appreciated!!! Thanks so much for all the good advice in the past. I think once we can sort a place out (been tracking flights for a few weeks now), it will help planning the itinerary and booking places to stay/etc.

Re: Honeymoon - Leaning Toward Argentina or NZ (Early February)

Peru.

I've been to Peru!!!
    And it is pretty spectacular.

My experience has been in NZ. And it is quite out-of-date (30 years?!)

But almost too far to go for such a short time (my three trips to NZ have been 1-year, 3-months, and 6-months). Doable -- rent a campervan and spend a week on both Islands. My sister and Brother-in-law had a great time (but had more time) doing that.

My son spent a year in Bolivia -- but that is more like adventure traveling...not relaxing honeymoon traveling!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Argentina - full of the world's most beautiful women.
    New Zealand - full of the world's most beautiful scenery.
    Where to go for a honeymoon?
    ........ Hmmmmmmmmmm

T

Hahahaha. Well, in that case...

I know this is a long shot...and not a lot of people have been to either or both. But, you never know, and perhaps some that have traveled around them have input to consider.
    Thanks again for the advice thus far!!

NZ does have a very impressive and varied nature.

But it also suffers from some of the most "uncool" housing/town development I have ever seen. Away from the vistas, everything man-made is somehow without any sort of continuity of design or sense of good architecture. I am talking about things like petrol stations, housing and such like!

We were quite a long way into planning a few weeks vacation and viewed a ten minute video from the Camper hire firm. This showed endless rows of bungalows and painfully ugly developments near roads. Then I remembered, what the nzers I knew in London in the 60's, who had fled the country, said about the place!

But, of course, many can accept the contrast between the exquisite nature and the rather mundane man-made structures.

Spain has photo ops, mountains, beaches, and wine...just sayin'
    Then again, just the safety briefing on Air New Zealand flights looks pretty cool
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Beware of NZ
    Sand flies.
    And Killer Sheep.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PkMPAlMFo
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

You might consider the Azores. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to get to. A mix of mountains and sea.