Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hurricane Coming!

(Shrek)

Re: Hurricane Coming!

Just stay safe. I have no suggestions other than fastening the camera to an old Majestic tripod should prevent it from blowing away.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned tying a small sandbag to the bottom of the centre-column yet . . .

More seriously, the best way to guarantee safety for the gear (and yourselves) is to be somewhere else. Good luck.

I just looked at the interactive weather map www.windy.com and it looks as though the east coast of Florida will be (somewhat) spared but the west coast will get slammed. And then on Monday, Hurricane Irma will head directly toward ME!

Much of my most important camera equipment is in Pelican cases that I have been buying on the used market for a couple years here in Atlanta at Wing's Camera. The rest will just have to fend for itself.

Our house is on a hill and Atlanta (in general) is 1,000 feet above sea level so flooding for me is not an issue. But as hurricanes do, they like to spin off tornadoes on their eastern side as they move; right now, that is my only fear. The Atlanta area is predicted to receive about 3 inches of rain and wind gusts approaching 80 miles per hour. So falling trees are a possibility. With that in mind, this afternoon I walked around our property using my cell phone to record "Before" views of the house, trees and my car. Let's just hope I do not need any matching "After" views.

////

BTW, that interactive weather map at www.windy.com is useful for anyone in the WORLD to see weather conditions such as pressure, wind, waves, rain, snow, dust, cloud heights and much more. Check it out. It is free to use. Use your mouse to drag around the view you would like and/or click on the "+" or "-" buttons to zoom in or out.

For example, here is a world-wide view of air pressure and wind currents: https://www.windy.com/?pressure,33.877,-84.334,3

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I just hope YOU survive! I would have packed up important gear and things and gotta out! A Cat 5 or 4 is something you do not want to mess with. If you have been through hurricanes in the past and thought I'll just ride it out I'd say not this one. We had family in the Philippines who thought the same thing with Typhoon Haiyan and six lives were lost in the strongest Typhoon ever recorded on land. What happens to you when you house is ripped from its foundation? I'd find somewhere else to live during hurricane season. Best of luck to you.

Well, luckily the east coast of FL was spared, so I had no damage, other than having a couple of trees that we had to remove as they were getting kind of weak, but thanks for all those that had serious answers, I never would have thought of the dish washer! And to the person that mentioned putting it on an old Majestic tripod, that's where it normally lives! I love my old tripod, I've even removed the original top plate, and mounted a quick release plate on it so I can take the camera off to use handheld easily when I want to, I just wish it wasn't quite as heavy as it is!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Linhof90mm.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	169817

My Passion Is Learning

We got hit with the eye in CF but I live in a third floor apartment so I wasn't concerned about flooding. Now what the fun part was was after the storm but still in the very strong wind gusts, I went out to shoot some fallen trees! LF gear holds up quite well in hurricane gusts when your camera weighs a ton! Course, I stuck every lens I own in my pack to use as a weight also.

Over 3 weeks ago I was living in Houston with Harvey approaching with the expected 50 inches of rain. It was serious preparation time. I placed all my photo gear in plastic tubs and then up as high as possible; on the washer and dryer, high shelves, kitchen counters, tables, tall furniture, etc. I got 3 inches of water inside and lost a lot of personal items and furniture but no losses of photographic items. I was worried the high water would be worse and didn't have a plan if it did.

It's not just the high water, it's the searing humidity after the hurricane. It's necessary to get your possessions aired out so that mold and mildew won't do damage. I pulled the carpets out of my apartment and neighbor's apartments as soon as we could. The interior mold showed up 2 days after the rain stopped. We worked like animals for several days. All the while with our homes no longer safe to stay in.

(Shrek)

I've seen containers of dessicating gel the size of small sour cream tubs at the $1 store (microwave to renew), if I were at any risk of flooding I would buy a bunch of those, put them in large plastic bins with all my gear and tape the lids all around, then put everything on the 2nd floor or attic and leave them until repairs were complete. If the 2nd floor floods, camera gear isn't my biggest concern.

Given where I live, I should buy the dessicant this winter, because last spring the water came within 1-1/2" of the top of the dike at the end of the street here in Pierrefonds (Montreal). I didn't realise how close we were until the day before it crested, I had little time to prepare. The neighborhood got together to build a sandbag wall, but the army was nowhere to be seen in our immediate area, they concentrated on more upscale developments just east and west of us. But I'm not bitter.

I came through Irma without much damage, but a lot of people in my town and others nearby are without food. I've seen no sign of the Red Cross or FEMA, but local churches have set up hot food kitchens and the Salvation Army is runnibg food trucks all around the county. If you have a few spare bucks, it would help a lot of people if you sent a contribution to the Salvation Army.