Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6

Schneider APO Summer 150mm f5.6

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with this lens? I want to buy a standard lens for 4x5 and I'm looking for high quality glass that is affordable.

Are there any recommendations for lenses or examples of images with these lenses you'd be happy to share?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Schneider APO Summer 150mm f5.6

A Schneider APO-SYMMAR (not Summer...) is the latest incarnation of Schneider's Symmar lens line and a top performer. You can't really go wrong with this or any other relatively modern 150mm Plasmat-design lens from any of the major manufacturers. 150mm is considered a "normal" focal-length for 4x5, approximating the angle of view of your eye.

See here for specs: http://www.ground-glass.net/large-fo...apo-symmar-150

Best,

Doremus

Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6

Hello all,

Does anyone have any experience with the Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6 lens? I want to buy a standard lens for 4x5 and I'm looking for high quality glass that is affordable.

Are there any recommendations for lenses or examples of images with these lenses you'd be happy to share?

Re: Schneider Apo Symmar 150mm f/5.6

The 150mm APO Symmar is a very good lens, and available very inexpensively. It was my first 4x5 lens and I still use it. I use a few different 150mm lenses - the APO Symmar doesn't have a lot of "character" but it can't be faulted on quality.

Here's a couple of photos from my 150mm APO Symmar:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

When you say character, what are you referring to?

Thank you for the feedback and images!

Other 150mm lenses I have include the APO Lanthar and Xenotar lenses, which have a lot of character - be it from contrast, spherical aberrations, out of focus rendering, etc. The APO Symmar is just a normal, sharp, high-quality lens that doesn't have any "standout" characteristics in my opinion. It's still great, and really as you can see above the out of focus is still nice and smooth. I would say the APO Lanthar has a nicer out of focus rendering in some harder situations and has a beautiful soft contrast unlike the Symmar, and the Xenotar has a shorter DOF when shot wide-open and has a "glow" to it when shot at those wider stops. So they all have their place and unique look. Nothing wrong with the APO Symmar though!

Ah I understand, character is not something that I'm looking for in a lens, just something that is sharp and reliable as I don't often work with DoF. This is how I like to shoot - https://www.instagram.com/p/BY6M7PSA...joshua.turner_

The Original Poster (OP) might want to delete the other two duplicate threads!!!

Currently trying to figure that out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaT View Post
    Ah I understand, character is not something that I'm looking for in a lens, just something that is sharp and reliable as I don't often work with DoF. This is how I like to shoot - https://www.instagram.com/p/BY6M7PSA...joshua.turner_
    Then I think the APO Symmar would be just the ticket. They also made the "L" version - I don't really remember the difference. I bought my 150mm APO Symmar for all of $350 back 6 or so years ago, and have seen them selling for much cheaper, so that's a real bargain of a lens.

As for your duplicate threads, just use the "report" function to alert an admin to delete them. You can't delete yourself.