Thread: M-componon 50mm

M-componon 50mm

I am about to purchase this lens for macro work both in the field and in studio. When I do a 1:1 I undestand that the subject will be 50mm in front of the lens and the bellow extension will be 100mm. My question is that what if I do a 2:1 (image 2x), the below extention will be 150mm but how much distance between the front of the lens and the subject? 50mm? 25mm?

I am planning to do up to 8:1 (8x) magnification so the bellow extention will be 450mm but how much will be the distance between the front of the lens and the subject.

I also need help on the exposure compensations

thanks in advanced.

M-componon 50mm

WRT bellows compensation...

the quick and dirty method is to convert you lenses to inches (mm/25.4). then take the native focal length of the lens and the distance it's racked out, convert these to their closest f stops, and take the difference.

say you're shooting with 210mm lens... that's ~8"
    now, lets assume you've got it racked out 16"
    you'd need two extra stops... the difference between f/16 and f/8

just remember that...
    if you're using a lens at twice it's focal length, you need two stops. three times, three stops. one-and-a-half times, you guessed it, one-and-a-half stops.

this is one of those things that photographers seem to make way too big a deal of.

M-componon 50mm

Renee, have a few magic formulas:

Distance from front nodal point to subject = f* (m+1)/m, where f = lens' focal length and m = magnification. So with magnification = 1, the distance is 2*f, not 1*f as you assumed. At 8:1, the distance is 1.125 f. Note that the distance is measured from the lens' front nodal point, not from the front element or the rim of the barrel. Typically the front nodal point is a little in front of the diaphragm.

Distance from rear nodal point to subject = f*(m + 1). Since the film plane is behind the back of the bellows and the rear node is typically in front of it, getting to 8:1 with a 50 mm lens shouldn't require exactly 450 mm of extension. The rear node is typically a little behind the diaphragm, most people use the diaphragm's location as an approximation. Use a tape measure, the distance from film plane to diaphragm is usually close enough.

Effective f/stop = n*(m +1), where n is the f/stop number set.

What format are you shooting? I ask because a 50 M-Componon won't cover 2x3, which I shoot, let alone any larger format, at 1:1.

And what will your subjects be? In my experience, shooting in the field much above 1:1 is very difficult, requires flash illumination, a two-axis focusing rail, much patience, and a flat, static subject.

Buy a book on photomacrography. Lester Lefkowitz' The Manual Of Closeup Photography are Brian Bracegirdle's Scientific Photomacrography both very good. Lefkowitz is somewhat less dry.

Good luck, have fun,

M-componon 50mm

To keep from driving yourself whacky when focusing at or near 1:1, move the whole camera or the subject. When you try to focus by moving the lens, all that happens is that the magnification ratio changes.

M-componon 50mm

I will be using my zone v1 camera. My subjects will be static and sliced flat (disected flower parts). I will place the subject on a white board or paper and shoot. I will take Ernest's recomendation on moving the subject instead of extending the bellows. . Anymore comments will be greatly appreciated.

M-componon 50mm

Renee, buy the books. You asked a short question that requires quite a long answer. You'll get only short answers here.

Would your subjects be better illuminated by transmitted or by reflected light?

M-componon 50mm

<b>
    Renee,

the data sheet is here along with some graphs which should help you set it up correctly:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/m_componon.pdf

Cheers

Klaus

The M-Componons can also be found on my Site: http://www.macrolenses.de/

Klaus

http://www.macrolenses.de for macro and special lens info
    http://www.pbase.com/kds315/ for UV Images and lens/filter info
    http://photographyoftheinvisibleworld.blogspot.com/ my UV diary