Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

Re: Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

The plain 150 Rodagon is a fine lens. Never thought a need for the Apo, though my favorite in that range is the older 180 Apo, which Bob will tell you is not as good as the 150 Apo-N, but is certainly more than good enough for my work! I typically prefer the 135 over the 150 Rodagon for 4x5 work though I have both. L

If the seller represented the lens as: .........a discontinued super rate APO corrected enlarging lens for the 4X5 image circle film. I'd sure be returning it and asking for my money back because it is NOT an Enlarging Lens! You should also be able to put in a complaint with Ebay to cover your return shipping!

Drew Wiley

Reminds me of how some there was someone trying to sell funky old lenses as Gold Dot Dagors by painting the dot on it themselves. Lots of scams. One of my favorites was someone baiting conspicuously under-educated fossil collectors by listing a piece of Devonian rugosa coral as a priceless specimen of "Jurassic rhinoceros horn".

Quote Originally Posted by everettfitz View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4 enlarging lens for my boss off ebay and am seeking information on how this specific lens functions.

The lens was described as new and in box, so we figured it would come with all necessary accessories. Is there supposed to be a built in aperture to control f/stops?
    I know there are plates that could be inserted into the center of the lens to control the f/stop; but can't find a way to purchase them.

I may be false, looking for any information on this lens. We are unsure if this is the correct lens.
    I attached photos below

Thank you so much in advance,

Everett
    So how did this end up?

Just like everettfitz, I also just recently purchased this lens. It came with the original box labeled "APO-RODAGON" and has Cat.No. 0703.050.000.20

Last week I made a phonecall to Rodenstock Photo (Qioptiq) in Germany and they did some research for me. I have asked them about the optical design of this lens compared to the enlarger versions and about the application of this lens. This is their answer:

Dear Mr. Van H.... ,

yes , your lens is the same Optical Design .
    We have developed this version earlier for printers .

Best regards

D..... W.....
    Manager Service Fotooptiken
    Industrial Optics
    Discover the Q
    Qioptiq
    Also, they told me by phone the lens is not designed for the 1:1 repoduction scale. For this range they have the Apo-Rodagon-D lenses only.
    I am going to use it on my enlarger, and maybe I even mount it on my 4x5" viewcam for close-up portraits.
    Nothing about this lens or box is doctored, it is 100% genuine.

Did you know SKGRIMES made a nice waterhouse stop modification for this lens? Rough price for the modification is $300 - $400 +s/h. This includes a set of waterhouse stops.
    http://www.skgrimes.com/whats-new/20...p-modification

If it could be mounted on a 150 enlarging lens barrel the aperture would be correct and new adapter rings could be machined so you'd have an enlarging lens with an aperture and you would not have to use waterhouse stops. Seems it would be a lot cheaper to buy the correct lens in the first place unless this lens was very very cheap!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 25-Sep-2017 at 10:32.

Agreed with Luis.

If there's already a slot in the barrel then I'd just make my own Waterhouse stops... only need a couple for enlarging.

If there's already a slot in the barrel then I'd just make my own Waterhouse stops.
    There is no slot in the barrel (at least not in mine). A part of SKGRIMES's modification will probably be to make a slot in the barrel. At this moment you can probably only unscrew the front lens element from the rear lens element and add/remove/replace the aperture disk (if there is one in place). I would not choose for the waterhouse stops modification myself, but I'm just showing the option.
    .. only need a couple for enlarging.
    You can buy a rather expensive Durst Extended Lapla 72mm if you have a Durst enlarger. Or you can ask someone to machine an adapter.

Seems it would be a lot cheaper to buy the correct lens in the first place unless this lens was very very cheap!
    Agreed as well, so this information is only useful for people who already have this lens and decide to use it. I am happy with a fixed focus version, but if anyone has a spare example of the enlarger version, please contact me.

Quote Originally Posted by Repko View Post
    There is no slot in the barrel (at least not in mine). A part of SKGRIMES's modification will probably be to make a slot in the barrel. At this moment you can probably only unscrew the front lens element from the rear lens element and add/remove/replace the aperture disk (if there is one in place). I would not choose for the waterhouse stops modification myself, but I'm just showing the option.

You can buy a rather expensive Durst Extended Lapla 72mm if you have a Durst enlarger. Or you can ask someone to machine an adapter.

Agreed as well, so this information is only useful for people who already have this lens and decide to use it. I am happy with a fixed focus version, but if anyone has a spare example of the enlarger version, please contact me.
    You don’t have a fixed focus version. You have a fixed aperture version, that is quite a different thing. Additionally, since your lens hits optimal aperture about 2 stops down, what aperture is your lens fixed at?