Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

Question Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

Hello,

I recently purchased an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4 enlarging lens for my boss off ebay and am seeking information on how this specific lens functions.

The lens was described as new and in box, so we figured it would come with all necessary accessories. Is there supposed to be a built in aperture to control f/stops?
    I know there are plates that could be inserted into the center of the lens to control the f/stop; but can't find a way to purchase them.

I may be false, looking for any information on this lens. We are unsure if this is the correct lens.
    I attached photos below

Thank you so much in advance,

Everett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-1176.jpg   IMG-1175.jpg   IMG-1177.jpg   IMG-1178.jpg  

Re: Need help regarding an Apo-Rodagon 150mm f/4

You did not buy the standard production 150 Apo Rodagon-N. instead you have an OEM lens made for a specific purpose other then for use in an enlarger.
    This lens may have been designed for use in some type of scanning or duplicating system. It could be a relay optic but whatever it is it is not the photographic Apo Rodagon-N.

I don't know what you bought, but I hope you didn't get screwed. The lens you want looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aporodagon.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	169355

Looks like you bought a process type lens, not an enlarging lens. A process lens with an aperture, may still work within a limited enlarging range, but is likely optimized for a different range than a normal enlarging lens. Without an aperture, it's kind of useless. It looks like my process 240 Apo-Rodagon shown below which is optimized for 1:1 and usable in a range from 1:3 to 3:1, whereas enlarging lenses are normally optimized for a 4x to 10x enlargement. My 240 Apo has an aperture range from f5.6 to f128. If your lens does not have a built in aperture, I'd send it back if it was not disclosed. A slot in a process lens is for using filters for color separations, NOT for waterhouse stops for enlarging. I don't see a slot in your lens, and like Bob said, it was probably made for use in a specific machine.

Below is a shot of both a 240 Rodagon enlarging lens on left, and a process 240 Apo Rodagon on right, both mounted on DeVere boards for comparison. On the 240 Apo, I've put a piece of tape to keep the filter slot closed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	169356
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 6-Sep-2017 at 09:00.

Did the eBay seller specifically SAY that it was an enlarging lens? If so, you might be within your rights to return it for a refund.

I saw that one on ebay, for that price, you can find the real enlarging version with some effort. contrary to the pic posted by xkaes, the 150 apo N looks like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g...l0E/s-l800.jpg

https://img.alicdn.com/bao/uploaded/...pg_728x728.jpg

good luck with search, it's a great lens.

-Ed

Not so long ago I searched for a similar lens on the web. I ended buying an expensive, perfect, "new looking" one; I knew I was scammed when I just received the lens. Thanks God I was insured. I finally didn`t found the lens I was looking for.

Funny, I found quite a few sellers trying to sell Apo Rodagons in a not so ethical manner. There were misleading images and descriptions like this one, which I think is as Bob mention an OEM lens, I think sold with another lens` box.

I even found some "frankenstein" lenses, where elements, cells or shutters were swapped between different vesions. Beware of it.

Ed images are funny, too. The linked lens looks like a real "Apo Rodagon N" (not sure to be a plain Apo Rodagon), the serial number could match, but it looks like the owner deliberately wanted to hide a possible "N" on the images... either in the lens or in the box... (?)
    Everett lens looks to be any kind of "N" version, but the box is saying "I belong to a non "N" Apo Rodagon unit"... Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by jose angel View Post
    Not so long ago I searched for a similar lens on the web. I ended buying an expensive, perfect, "new looking" one; I knew I was scammed when I just received the lens. Thanks God I was insured. I finally didn`t found the lens I was looking for.Funny,

I found quite a few sellers trying to sell Apo Rodagons in a not so ethical manner. There were misleading images and descriptions like this one, which I think is as Bob mention an OEM lens, I think sold with another lens` box.

I even found some "frankenstein" lenses, where elements, cells or shutters where swapped between different vesions. Beware of it.

Ed images are funny, too. The linked lens looks like an "Apo Rodagon N" (not sure to be a plain Apo Rodagon), the serial number could match, but it looks like the owner deliberately wanted to hide the "N" on the images... either in the lens or in the box...
    Everett lens looks to be any kind of "N" version, but the box is saying "I belong to a non "N" Apo Rodagon version"...
    There never was a 150 Apo Rodagon. The 150 Apo Rodagon N replaced the earlier 180 Apo Rodagon. So the label on that box was somehow doctored. In all the years that we were the Rodenstock USA distributor, 1986 till early 2015, we had never seen a box labeled 150 Apo Rodagon. And, we were the distributor before the N versions were introduced and until most were discontinued, including the entire production life of the 150 Apo Rodagon N.

There was a 150 Rodagon so that may have been the source of that box with the Apo added by someone.

The first image of the lens clearly shows the text on the barrel, "Apo-Rodagon-N 1:4 f=150mm".

Quote Originally Posted by consummate_fritterer View Post
    The first image of the lens clearly shows the text on the barrel, "Apo-Rodagon-N 1:4 f=150mm".
    But not on the box!