Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need actual measurement of 8x10 sheet film...

Need actual measurement of 8x10 sheet film...

Howdo all,

What the thread title says. Despite trawling the internet and the LFP forum I've not been able to find exact measurements for the size of any 8x10 film (other than of old defunct films where measurements may not be standardised). ISO 1012: 1998 has sheet film specs but as many know, it's a little criminal to charge £50 to £85 for the two required linear measurements, and it does not necessarily ensure that all manufacturers follow the standards exactly.

The reason for the request is that I'm making my own film holders in 4"x10" and 5"x8", which will be using cut 8"x10" film, and I require measurements, to the nearest mm (or 32nds of an inch), for the following films...

Fuji Neopan Acros 100,
    Fuji Provia 100,
    Any Ilford (although I can contact Ilford directly for this who may also be able to supply film already cut in those sizes).

These are the main films I use. I'll leave out other films at this stage but if others want to add measurements for other modern films then by all means do so - it may be useful to someone else.

...and yes, I could buy some boxes and waste about £50+ of various sheet films but I lack such funds and would prefer to save that money and ask the knowledgeable and very helpful people on the LFP forum .

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Duff

Re: Need actual measurement of 8x10 sheet film...

Since you have to cut the film anyway, why not just cut the film(s) to fit the holder, instead of the other way around?

I just measured a sheet of Fomapan-100 8x10 sheet film on the light-box: 201.7mm X 253.0mm. As far as I know all 8x10 sheet film is smaller than the actual 8 inches X 10 inches format which applied only to glass plates.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Since you have to cut the film anyway, why not just cut the film(s) to fit the holder, instead of the other way around?
    Sadly, that won't work. First off, if the film holder is too small I will be cutting the film more than once thus introducing a further risk of scratching and dust (and wasting a little film area on top). Secondly, if I've made the film holders too large one half of the cut film will be too small to fit and thus a waste of half a film. Cutting it exactly in half means two pieces of film exactly the same size and to do that I'll need to know the exact measurements.

I'm sure there are photographers out who do use 8x10 in the films I stipulated and if they see this it won't too much of a hardship to fish one out and spend a very short while measuring one up if they are willing to do so. It'll be a lot easier than me guessing at what size film holder a 5x8 or a 4x10 should be. The only film I have to hand is 4"x5" Quickload Fuji Provia and Readyload TMax 100 which measures at 99mmx124mm and 99mmx125mm respectively (took me 30 seconds to locate and measure, so...).

Cheers,
    Duff.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    I just measured a sheet of Fomapan-100 8x10 sheet film on the light-box: 201.7mm X 253.0mm. As far as I know all 8x10 sheet film is smaller than the actual 8 inches X 10 inches format which applied only to glass plates.
    Thanks Maris.

That helps a lot. Although it's not Fuji or Ilford, it gives me a ball park figure (or I could start using Fomapan-100!). Very much appreciated!

Cheers,
    Duff.

Just measured several sheets each of FP4+ and HP5+. Not consistant, but usually 1/16 of an inch less than 8x10, give or take 1/32 inch. One sheet was 10" long
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Do commercially available 4x10 and 5x8 holders take exactly half an 8x10 sheet of film? Or are there variations among them?

Kumar

Found a sheet of Fuji 8x10 Acros.

It is 1/16 inch less than 8x10 in each direction. 7 15/16" x 9 15/16".
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by B.S.Kumar View Post
    Do commercially available 4x10 and 5x8 holders take exactly half an 8x10 sheet of film? Or are there variations among them?

Kumar
    Kumar, I have found that both my 4x10 and 5x8 holders take exactly half the sheet.

Thank you, Jim.