Thread: Kodak Aero-Ektar 12 inches f2.5 yellow blue dots + Carl Meyer conversion

Kodak Aero-Ektar 12 inches f2.5 yellow blue dots + Carl Meyer conversion

I bought myself a decent Aero-Ektar 12 inches f2.5 not so long ago (#RM168) on that site, and it came with yellow and blue dots. I know the yellow and purple dots are quite common but I still could not find exactly what blue dot meant for. If any of you wonderful folks knows what blue dot means then please let me know.

Anyway I figured the shutter housing that it came with is bulky, so I decided to convert it to an aperture one . I have been having this idea of a Carl Meyer conversion for about two years now, and I have been sitting on the idea, but I did not find a cheap AE12 to test it on. For you guys did not know, Carl Meyer (Burk & James) outsourced the lenses and rehoused quite a lot, including re-housed AE 7 inches f2.5 and AE 12 inches f2.5 and called them Carl Meyer 7 inches f2.5 or Carl Meyer 12 inches f2.5 with aperture ring. I stumbled upon a Carl Meyer version of AE12 a few years ago on that site, but I missed out on getting it. The lens also shed down some weight.
    Anyway here is the original lens in its housing glory

After the conversion

Currently the lens is getting LED Growlight treatment to bleach the yellowing

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Kodak Aero-Ektar 12 inches f2.5 yellow blue dots + Carl Meyer conversion

Different colored dots indicate different coatings, but it's proprietary information that manufacturers played close to the vest...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

As far as I know, the 12" f2.5 Kodak Aero-Ektar should fit directly into the barrel of the (sometimes cheaper) 343mm f3.5 Eastman Anastigmat. These are sometimes branded as a Kodak Aero-Ektar. This might be one way of finding a barrel for your lens. Finding a camera that than hold the beast might be a greater challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    As far as I know, the 12" f2.5 Kodak Aero-Ektar should fit directly into the barrel of the (sometimes cheaper) 343mm f3.5 Eastman Anastigmat. These are sometimes branded as a Kodak Aero-Ektar. This might be one way of finding a barrel for your lens. Finding a camera that than hold the beast might be a greater challenge.
    You nailed it on the head regarding the barrel and aperture for the lens. Both AE12 and Kodak Anastigmat 13.5 inches lenses have exact same thread. I think this is what Carl Meyer did in the days too aside from making their barrel/aperture. It should do well with board that is larger than 6x6.
    Last edited by renditiont; 3-Sep-2017 at 11:58.

FYI here is my modded AE12 f2.5 . Note the arrows went past f/3.5 .

Here are what I know so far regarding Carl Meyer re-branding:

Carl Meyer 7 inches f2.5 = re-brand AE 7 inches f2.5
    Carl Meyer 12 inches f2.5 = re-brand AE 12 inches f2.5
    Carl Meyer 5 inches f2 = re-brand Gottingen Xenon 5 inches f2
    Carl Meyer Video-Stigmat 200mm f2.9 = re-brand Dallmeyer Pentac 200mm f2.9

these guys probably re-branded many more fast lenses...

and here is Carl Meyer's version

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

BTW, for those who don't know, "Carl Meyer" was the Burke & James "house brand" for many lenses. Some were pre-WWII German Goerz lenses (B&J bought Goerz in 1927), some were post-war German lenses supposedly assembled from huge lots of miscellaneous cells and elements, some were re-worked old lenses or new lenses made under contract for B&J by other makers...

I have a couple that are fine, but there are stories that the quality is quite variable. The story behind the "Carl Meyer" name is also variable; some say it's a blend of Carl Zeiss and Hugo Meyer, two very respected names in photographic optics. Others say it's the name of George Drucker's (President of B&J) wife's gynecologist.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Using more larger lenses is not a problem for me any more, Jason.

通过我的 MHA-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Yeah, mounting is the least of my concerns. I collected a few decently fast ones for 8x10 over two years period as well. Some of mine 323mm f/2.3, Hektor 300mm f2.8, AE12 f2.5, chinese 340/2.4, Kodak Anastigmat/AE 341mm f3.5

Im looking for a 12 inch aero ektar kodak lens to complete my K19B camera, This doesn't need to be a functioning lens as I don't own aircraft to use it!
    Eion