Thread: 2D to Omega Lens Board Adapter

2D to Omega Lens Board Adapter

I have an Omega 4x5 with the usual 6x6 metal lens board. Also have a 5x7 Kodak 2D with 4 1/2 inch wood lens board. What is the best way to make an adapter so I can switch lenses from one camera to the other? Thanks.

Re: 2D to Omega Lens Board Adapter

First question is how many lensboards do you have in operation right now??? These would be mounted on either camera, as you have them already...

Your choice would be a step-up or step-down adapter for one of the cameras... Not hard to layer thin stock to build up proper light trap steps, and make provision to hold flat boards on adapter board...

I would tend to use the smaller boards, as they are fairly easy to make from wood that can be cut with a utility knife, then bonded together to form the steps... The larger metal board would be better as an adapter, as you need only one metal board, modified... And the smaller boards would be a little easier to pack in your kit...

To make retainers for your adapter boards, the easiest thing to make would not to make the long slotted bars, but to get round flat metal discs (like electrical box punch-out "slugs") or even coins and drill near one edge so the large part swings over flush board mounting to retain the board from falling out...

Come up with a plan, but allow for future needs... There might be other cameras with "needs" in your future, too... ;-)

Have fun!!!

Steve K
    Last edited by LabRat; 17-Dec-2021 at 21:57.

Thanks, Steve. So I’ll mount the lenses on the smaller 4 1/2 inch wooden board, then configure a light-tight trap adapter to attach the smaller board on the larger. I have a friend with a large shop and also a great imagination, so we’ll get our heads together and see what happens. I’ll post some pix.
    Last edited by Wordsandpixels; 18-Dec-2021 at 15:07. Reason: Typo

New lenses? No, heaven forbid, I would never think of such a nefarious strategy. :-)

The E-Z way to make an adapter for the flat wood boards is to cut a square hole in the metal adapter board that fits the light baffle on the back of the wood boards, then make strips the same height as the outer wood boards that go around it... Then, add some retainers...

Steve K

Inter-operability is great! I have my working lens set on Toyo/Linhof/Wista compatible (notched) lens boards. They fit my Wista made Zone VI. I use a few of them on my Kodak 2D 8x10 via an adapter board ZI jumped on at a camera show back when there were camera shows.

If you can get tan find an adapter board for your systems, get it.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I spent some time today with my friend and he advised the same. Thanks!