Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3d-printed lens plate: MPP Press

3d-printed lens plate: MPP Press

The mechanical engineering boys at work got a new toy, so they kindly knocked out (er, experimented with the limits of the system) a couple of lens plates for my MPP Press camera. It's an odd size, not quite square, 92mm by 94mm, with a rebate light trap.

The material is PLA. Unfortunately it's still a little translucent on the thinner part around the rebate, so I've backed it with black tape which seems to do the trick. It's also very slightly flexible, in spite of being officially rigid, but that doesn't look like an issue.

I can't produce these, but I'm sure if anyone needs one I can supply the necessary model files. These were printed on a machine with a 50 micron step (0.05mm).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	169038

Neil

Re: 3d-printed lens plate: MPP Press

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    The mechanical engineering boys at work got a new toy, so they kindly knocked out (er, experimented with the limits of the system) a couple of lens plates for my MPP Press camera. It's an odd size, not quite square, 92mm by 94mm, with a rebate light trap.

The material is PLA. Unfortunately it's still a little translucent on the thinner part around the rebate, so I've backed it with black tape which seems to do the trick. It's also very slightly flexible, in spite of being officially rigid, but that doesn't look like an issue.

I can't produce these, but I'm sure if anyone needs one I can supply the necessary model files. These were printed on a machine with a 50 micron step (0.05mm).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	169038

Neil
    You are right, 3D printers are a wonderful solution. I print lens boards with black ABS, very durable and opaque.

Another way to block light and trap excess light might be to glue black flock paper or felt to the back of the lens board.

The last time I was in Hobby Lobby, they had both items.

PLA will warp when it gets too hot, which IIRC is around 104F. Most car interiors will get hotter than that in the summer.

My old MPP Micro Press uses Graflex Pacemaker boards.

Quote Originally Posted by choiliefan View Post
    My old MPP Micro Press uses Graflex Pacemaker boards.
    Not the Pacemaker, but the Anniversary model and many other brands and types of cameras of that era. These are plentiful and can be easily fabricated from a variety of materials. Here is the specifications, probably downloaded years ago from the now defunct MPP User's website. Note that the MPP board measures slightly thinner than the 4x4 inch boards once prevalent. This doesn't seem to matter.

"Lens Boards - MicroTechnical Cameras Mk's I to VII and S92

Dimensions - Square, 101mm x 101 mm.
    Thickness - 5.5mm.
    Outer face is flat. Inner face is stepped all round.
    All four inner edges are milled to form the step.
    Milling is 6mm wide by 2.5mm deep. Final panel edge thickness is therefore 3mm.
    The bottom edge inside is bevelled sufficient to allow ease of fitting.
    Hole for lens - Dead Centre."

Not the same size as my MPP Press lensboard above, Jim: that's 92 by 94mm, about 3mm thick in total (can't measure it immediately).

Neil

My local library has a 3D printer, I had a similar idea and also wanted to think about making lens boards with built in, custom flanges for odd lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by barnacle View Post
    Not the same size as my MPP Press lensboard above, Jim: that's 92 by 94mm, about 3mm thick in total (can't measure it immediately).

Neil
    I stand corrected. A factory original Graflex Pacemaker lens board measures 92.8x94.35mm. I've made these by rolling the edges of 1/16" sheet aluminum over an appropriately sized form. Apparently MPP chose the Pacemaker style boards for their press cameras and the older standard 4" board for the technical cameras.

I'm referring to the post-war Micro Press with the rangefinder on the top. It uses standard Pacemaker boards.