Some time ago I bought a Manfrotto BeFree One partly to use with a DSLR but mainly because it's *tiny* and light, for those occasions when I don't really want to lug around kilos of camera, a pile of film slides, and another three or four kilos of Manfrotto 55 with its pan and tilt head.

The only real issue - other than the expected lack of rigidity, despite allegedly having a 2.5kg load limit - is that ball joint. Never a good idea, with a heavy camera on top and that mounted to a quick release; the only option on the tripod. The man in the shop said it couldn't be removed... hah!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0211.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	169032

Step one: remove the quick release head - a single 4mm allen screw - and then peel away the red Manfrotto logo button to the left of the thumbscrew. If you don't find a 2mm allen screw under there, try the other side. Remove the thumbscrew and the allen screw.

Name:	DSC_0212.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	169033

Step 2: pull the balljoint and its cover away upwards. I had to wiggle things a bit; it's not far off an interference fit. A semicircular collar will fall onto the floor.

Name:	DSC_0213.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	169034

Keep the collar, the balljoint and cover, and the various screws and thumscrews; after the modification, the whole thing can be reassembled with the balljoint should you wish.

Neil