Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone know what kind of bulbs these are?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

anyone know what kind of bulbs these are?

Got them from a guy cleaning out his dad's darkroom

Doesn't seem to have a lot of threading to it. And a piece of paper on one of them saying that it needs to be well ventilated so probably gives off a lot of heat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-30 12.00.58.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	21.0 KB 
ID:	169028

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-08-30 12.00.52.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	169029

Re: anyone know what kind of bulbs these are?

I used to have an old slide projector that used a bulb that looked exactly like that. Don't remember make and model, though.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Definitely a projection lamp. There was originally some identifying printing on the very top, in grey type in the black area. It might have worn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Definitely a projection lamp. There was originally some identifying printing on the very top, in grey type in the black area. It might have worn off.
    I took a pic of the top, looked really faint, but I couldn't get anything. He also had a ton of old movie canisters from his neighbor who worked in Hollywood. They look like 14" Octogonial wheels. So maybe it was for a movie projector?

Yup, projector bulb. The designation on the top, such as DAT or DAK, might be hard to read, but that's the key. Look at it carefully. Without that, good luck -- that are a million bulbs that look like that. You could spend a lifetime searching images on the web or you could find a lighting/bulb/camera shop in your town that might help.

Some old colorheads use the tubular bulbs (with reflectors internally, etc) before the quartz reflector bulbs were used, esp very high output (750-1000W) units...

My old Agfa colorhead (on my Leitz IIc) uses these...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    My old Agfa colorhead (on my Leitz IIc) uses these...

Steve K
    Wow! That's a seriously hot light source! Of my two enlargers is one LF and a Leitz IIa. I'm thinking of converting a Leitz cooling bonnet to fit it the IIa.

How in the world does the IIIc cope with the heat from that bulb, and is there a warm-up to steady time. Maybe you use a shutter in the system?

Seriously interested. Thanks for any help!
    Jac

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Wow! That's a seriously hot light source! Of my two enlargers is one LF and a Leitz IIa. I'm thinking of converting a Leitz cooling bonnet to fit it the IIa.

How in the world does the IIIc cope with the heat from that bulb, and is there a warm-up to steady time. Maybe you use a shutter in the system?

Seriously interested. Thanks for any help!
    Jac
    Well Jac, I'm not sure!!! No shutter, just the projector bulb ramp-up time, runs not too hot to the touch, and WAY too much light output for type C color printing...

I found the head on auction, that still had stickers for the Australian Air Force and arrived with some tiny spiders inside from another continent... :-0

I think it had a 1000W bulb in it, and the sidewall construction was 3 internal chambers of thin steel, where the 2 outer layers had a straight through bottom to top path for convection cooling (but no fan)... My other Leitz Ic has an added 300W color head to it, with plenty of light, so this much output was WAY overkill, so I haven't used it yet...
    I guess that this thing just sits on the highest part of the enlarger, and the heat just rises like some old, hot slide projector that has no cooling fan... And it dosen't heat the enlarger chassis/stage...

But Jac, you are welcome to PM me or post ??? about the many upgrades (including cooling) to the different Leitz models... Adding a small 6X6 format colorhead where the top half of the IIa lamphouse sits is a major upgrade!!! (Details later...)

Steve K

[...] But Jac, you are welcome to PM me or post ??? about the many upgrades (including cooling) to the different Leitz models... Adding a small 6X6 format colorhead where the top half of the IIa lamphouse sits is a major upgrade!!! (Details later...)

Steve K
    Steve, have we discussed this before? I have a special cooling bonnet for a Valoy which allowed me to use a 250W bulb, which is insane.

I guess that this thing just sits on the highest part of the enlarger, and the heat just rises like some old, hot slide projector that has no cooling fan... And it dosen't heat the enlarger chassis/stage...

But Jac, you are welcome to PM me or post ??? about the many upgrades (including cooling) to the different Leitz models... Adding a small 6X6 format colorhead where the top half of the IIa lamphouse sits is a major upgrade!!! (Details later...)

Steve K
    Steve, we need some help from another member who found the subtle differences between the cooling hood/bonnet and what-fits-what. So sorry that I purged my mailbox. Mine fits a Valoy, but not a II* series enlarger. Bummer! I love the IIa. I'm sure I would like a IIc.