Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever try this??? 3D custom board issue

Re: Anyone ever try this??? 3D custom board issue

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    3D printing with any type of plastic is not structural ... proceed at your own risk

3D printing with metals (DMLS) is expensive

Make yourself a board out of aluminum or pay someone to do it for you, not worth breaking any glass over it.

Cheers,

Rudi A.

You are right, one has to know what he does when 3D printing. This said, a good design and bare ABS printing can deliver lens boards that are able to take 2kg lenses without risk. One of the challenges is to make designs that are not prone to bend from thermal stretching during printing.

Another way is just printing a mold with Poliethylene and filling the mold with a very strong technical resin, than can even include cut fiberglass.

But I agree that a bad design or the wrong plastic can ruin a lens, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Bipin View Post
    I made a mini Technika 6x9 board out of Shapeways' Strong and Flexible plastic which supposedly has good dimensional stability/rigidity despite the name. Relative to height and width, the board is inherently thick, so we'll see what happens. Specifically, I built a recessed board and a flat board. I'll report back with what happens:

Am I simply not reading your drawing correctly or are you actually missing something? I see where you have an intersection of blue, green and red lines indicating the center of the hole. Right? But where on your drawing do you actually say where that intersection is located? I do not see either an X or Y coordinate.

Since the board has an offset hole, one can not "assume" that the center point is in the center of the board.

Or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTerry View Post
    Am I simply not reading your drawing correctly or are you actually missing something? I see where you have an intersection of blue, green and red lines indicating the center of the hole. Right? But where on your drawing do you actually say where that intersection is located? I do not see either an X or Y coordinate.

Since the board has an offset hole, one can not "assume" that the center point is in the center of the board.

Or am I wrong?
    The red, blue, and green lines are the drawing origin (0,0,0). Red is usually X axis. Green is usually Y axis, which leaves Blue to be the Z axis. The drawing looks fully dimensioned to me (Except for the dimension on the X axis to show the top or bottom edge )

Quote Originally Posted by el french View Post
    The red, blue, and green lines are the drawing origin (0,0,0). Red is usually X axis. Green is usually Y axis, which leaves Blue to be the Z axis. The drawing looks fully dimensioned to me (Except for the dimension on the X axis to show the top or bottom edge )
    Yes, I understand the purpose for the red, blue and green lines as being the zero coordinate. What I don't see is where that spot is located on the lens board.

But, after all, it has been over 55 years since I took mechanical drawing classes in high school...