Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5: If I don't have a macro type lens, what's the next alternative?

Re: 4x5: If I don't have a macro type lens, what's the next alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Polaroid marketed a copy camera and stand called the Polaroid MP-4. For lenses it used Tominion optics.
    Tominon lenses were the "House Brand" made by the optical company, Tomioka (founded in 1924). ALL of Yashica's photographic lenses -- from their beginning in 1953 -- were made by Tomioka which eventually merged with Yashica in 1968. Many of their lenses are considered to be some of the best in the world.

Here’s a technical review of just four of Tomioka's Yashica DX lenses from 1972. Of the 50 test points only five (10%) were rated lower than “Very Good”, and only one (2%) was rated below “Good”. In fact, 39 of the 50 test points (78%) were rated as “Excellent”. It’s difficult to do any better than that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	modern1972dxlenreview.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	168929

But Tomioka also made lenses for many camera companies other than Yashica such as Polaroid, Chinon, Ricoh, Cosina, and Contax/Zeiss. Many of the famous Contax RTS T* lenses, although designed by Zeiss, were manufactured by Tomioka.
    Last edited by xkaes; 28-Aug-2017 at 19:20.

Are the Tominon lenses made for the Polaroid MP-3/4 copy cameras any good for macro work?

I have a 75mm Tominon that came from an MP-4.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew, the 135/4.5 MP-4 Tominons are mediocre. This based on my tests of three examples. The 75/4.5 I had and tested wasn't that good either.

I've had and tested all of the MP-4 Tominons except the 105. The 50/4.5 and shorter aren't best in class but are quite usable.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I wouldn't call it a problem. Here is a Fujinon 90mm f5.6 enlarging lens (left) and 35mm f4 Schnieder Componon on #1 shutters:

Attachment 168916

One note -- if your enlarging lens has an illuminated f-stop, you need to temporarily cover up the light pipe(s) with opaque tape on the REAR of the lens.
    Wow, didn't know you can attach an enlarger lens to a Copal like that. Was that extreme McGuyverism or just very expensive tooling at Grimes?

With bellows extension, a shutter is probably the last thing you'll need. Old enlarger lenses are ubiquitous and practically valueless now.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Wow, didn't know you can attach an enlarger lens to a Copal like that. Was that extreme McGuyverism or just very expensive tooling at Grimes?
    This is hardly anything extreme. It's simply a step-down ring from the front thread of a Copal #1 (40mm) to the rear thread of MOST enlarging lenses (39mm). That's not like getting the Palestinians and Israelis together, for Pete's sake. We are talking about ONE millimeter. I have two Copal #1 to Leica adapters. I probably paid $20 for each -- TOPS. I sold a Copal #3s to Leica adapter on EBAY a few weeks ago. I've never seen a Copal #0 or #00 to Leica adapter, but who knows. I have no idea who made/makes them, but I'm sure Grimes would be willing to help. Check out:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/close-up.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    With bellows extension, a shutter is probably the last thing you'll need. Old enlarger lenses are ubiquitous and practically valueless now.
    Sure, much depends on the amount of extension and the focal length & aperture of the lens, but I've found a shutter EXTREMELY convenient 99% of the time. And then there is the use of flash which is common in close-up/macro work.

And yes, old enlarger lenses are ubiquitous, but if your head is screwed on right, that just makes them more valuable now.

And yes, old enlarger lenses are ubiquitous, but if your head is screwed on right, that just makes them more valuable now.
    LOL, my head is a left hand thread, so it doesn't screw on right. Been around a long time.

Sure, much depends on the amount of extension and the focal length & aperture of the lens, but I've found a shutter EXTREMELY convenient 99% of the time. And then there is the use of flash which is common in close-up/macro work.

Using your specs it would be difficult. The mounting thread for a Copal 1 is 39x0.75. Not 40mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Using your specs it would be difficult. The mounting thread for a Copal 1 is 39x0.75. Not 40mm.
    I don't know where you get your specs, but try this. Put an enlarging lens with a 39mm thread into the front of a Copal #1 shutter. It willl go straight in and wiggle just a tiny bit because it is smaller than the Copal #1 front thread.

And if what you are saying is true then I don't need an adapter at all and I wasted my $20. DAMN!!!