Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5: If I don't have a macro type lens, what's the next alternative?

Re: 4x5: If I don't have a macro type lens, what's the next alternative?

Plus diopter lenses can be used for macro with any large format lenses successfully and they are not expensive at B&H.

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Depending on the magnifiction you target... I recommend using reversed an EL Nikkor 50mm enlarging lens for 1:1. Awesome results. Reversed, it covers 4x5. http://extreme-macro.co.uk/el-nikkor-50mm-28n/

Single problem would be shutter, you would need to improvise one.
    Wow, that's great info thank you!!!
    I worked in a studio in NYC for a while (pre-digital) and I've worked with a lot of broken shutters! Lots of pops or lots of seconds. Thanks!

Single problem would be shutter, you would need to improvise one.
    I wouldn't call it a problem. Here is a Fujinon 90mm f5.6 enlarging lens (left) and 35mm f4 Schnieder Componon on #1 shutters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlarger.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	168916

One note -- if your enlarging lens has an illuminated f-stop, you need to temporarily cover up the light pipe(s) with opaque tape on the REAR of the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by R.K View Post
    Plus diopter lenses can be used for macro with any large format lenses successfully and they are not expensive at B&H.
    Good point! Note that the greater the diopter, the greater the distortion/blurring of the edges/chromatic aberrations,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    I wouldn't call it a problem. Here is a Fujinon 90mm f5.6 enlarging lens (left) and 35mm f4 Schnieder Componon on #1 shutters:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	enlarger.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	168916

One note -- if your enlarging lens has an illuminated f-stop, you need to temporarily cover up the light pipe(s) with opaque tape on the REAR of the lens.
    Great idea, anyway to reverse it a suitable reversing ring can be used...

Great idea, anyway to reverse it a suitable reversing ring can be used...
    Normally not a problem. Unfortunately, there are some great enlarging lenses that don't have a front thread, so a little improvisation might be needed.

And since many (most?) enlarging lenses are symmetrical, reversing them accomplishes nothing. It's best to check your lens' design before you go to any unnecessary trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by xkaes View Post
    Normally not a problem. Unfortunately, there are some great enlarging lenses that don't have a front thread, so a little improvisation might be needed.

And since many (most?) enlarging lenses are symmetrical, reversing them accomplishes nothing. It's best to check your lens' design before you go to any unnecessary trouble.
    The EL-Nikkor 50mm 2.8 in particular it is not symetric... anyway if used at 1:1 I see no reason to reverse it...

I photographed stamps and coins for a large national company on 4X5 and 6X9 with a monorail view camera and 90mm and 65mm Super Angulon lenses. I don't think I could have done any better with special macro lenses and the client was very happy.

Polaroid marketed a copy camera and stand called the Polaroid MP-4. For lenses it used Tominion optics mounted in a self cocking Copal shutter. They actually were quite fine optics to be had at very reasonable prices back then. I believe they came in focal lengths of 17mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm, 105mm and 135mm. For Photomicrography they all covered the 4x5 format at different close ranges. Have only owned and used the 75mm and the 105mm lenses (back when) to copy hand drawn line graphs on Kodalith 2566 film and they never let me down. You can find them on the BIG auction site for very little money. I have bought a few for around $25 just for the shutters to be used with LF and ULF pinhole cameras.

WhenI started out in LF I was on a shoe string. My outfit was based on a Burk and James 5x7 with a reducing back.I shot some macro set-ups with a lens salvaged from an oscilloscope camera (75mm f/1.9). This is not a recommended lens, but I got it for under $50 and f/1.9 allowed me to see the subjecton the GG when at max extension. I focused wide open but stopped down to get some (any) DOF. Using a couple of Vivitar strobes some exposures took 7 to 10 "pops".

It was fun to do and like I said . . .a frayed shoe string!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!