Thread: SmugMug users & organizing images

SmugMug users & organizing images

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or Business. I have been using SmugMug for almost a year now and have been happy with the site, but I have changed my organization several times and trying to refine how my images work. I'm thinking of moving all my images to one "dump" per format (even though most of my images now come from 4x5, I still have some Digital and 35mm film) and then using smart galleries to use my keywords to populate as well as the "collect" to add them to my choice galleries. This way when I put links to an image and later decide I don't want it as a choice image the link (such as on here) does not just die.

How do you organize your images?

My site so you can see what I'm currently working with: www.summersmountainphoto.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ira Summers

Re: SmugMug users & organizing images

Quote Originally Posted by anilajain View Post
    I guess you are talking about how to manage and organize the images, right? Previously I was using Flickr but now I am using 500px and I am quite happy with this site as well.
    I am. Flickr and 500px are social media image sharing sites. smugMug is a website service for photographers. I do use 500px some as well. I have Flickr but it seems mostly dead anymore.

Ira Summers

John Olsen

I've been with Smugmug for 8 years. I organize my images by projects, and usually subprojects under those levels. I figure that landscape viewers don't want to wallow through a hundred motorcycles to find a waterfall. Smugmug's been a good way to display with a minimum upkeep effort from me. Mine is at www.johnolsenphoto.com.

I also notice that Flickr images shared here on the LF Forum here have extreme sharpening that hurts the images. Is this an automatic feature? If so it's pretty counter-productive.

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I've been with Smugmug for 8 years. I organize my images by projects, and usually subprojects under those levels. I figure that landscape viewers don't want to wallow through a hundred motorcycles to find a waterfall. Smugmug's been a good way to display with a minimum upkeep effort from me. Mine is at www.johnolsenphoto.com.

I also notice that Flickr images shared here on the LF Forum here have extreme sharpening that hurts the images. Is this an automatic feature? If so it's pretty counter-productive.
    I'm not talking about using the full dump as the main gallery, but instead using a mixture of collect and smart galleries to populate various categories. I keep my client stuff separate though.

Ira Summers

Ron Miller

Hmmm, SmugMug. I had a site there a few years ago. At that time I was restoring 1975 BMW 2002. Hundreds of shots thru the whole process. Along with my B&W 4x5 work. One day I got an email saying that images were against their policy so the site was shut down. No prior warning, they just shut it down overnight. It also stated that I could buy a backup DVD of the site contents if I paid for it.

The email didn't give a reason for the shutdown so I called them. They stated that the images of the car included the BMW badge - they did of course.

There is no reasoning with them. I pointed out that other SmugMug web sites have car images but they refused to listen to anything I had to say.

So lessons I learned: 1) Do not use SmugMug, 2) if you do assume that at any moment they will pull your site without prior notice, 3) if they are in the wrong, they are still right.

Sorry, it's my rant on that companies practices. I had sent out emails over the years with links as well as a few web sites that linked to my portfolios. It was a mess.
    Ron

John Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by gevalia View Post
    Hmmm, SmugMug. I had a site there a few years ago. At that time I was restoring 1975 BMW 2002. Hundreds of shots thru the whole process. Along with my B&W 4x5 work. One day I got an email saying that images were against their policy so the site was shut down. No prior warning, they just shut it down overnight. It also stated that I could buy a backup DVD of the site contents if I paid for it.

The email didn't give a reason for the shutdown so I called them. They stated that the images of the car included the BMW badge - they did of course.

There is no reasoning with them. I pointed out that other SmugMug web sites have car images but they refused to listen to anything I had to say.

So lessons I learned: 1) Do not use SmugMug, 2) if you do assume that at any moment they will pull your site without prior notice, 3) if they are in the wrong, they are still right.

Sorry, it's my rant on that companies practices. I had sent out emails over the years with links as well as a few web sites that linked to my portfolios. It was a mess.
    Ron
    Yikes! A photo of a brand logo is not a trademark violation, is it? This must be misguided. I've never had any interaction with Smugmug that was nasty like that. Sorry to hear.