Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P2 8x10 600-1200mm realistic for outdoor photography?

Re: Sinar P2 8x10 600-1200mm realistic for outdoor photography?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    ... their huge IC will allow all the movements the P2 can deliver.
    Not possible.

If you need more rise than the front standard can normally deliver, you just tilt the base rail and reset the front and rear vertical.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Excellent advice here.

I'll repeat the advice to use 4x5" rather than 8x10" for the reasons stated. I seriously doubt your print quality will suffer.

Drew Wiley

I find 4x5 much more realistic for long lens work. It is really difficult to find long lenses for 8x10 which most front standards can handle. I own both a 600C Fuji and a 760 ApoNikkor, and those are difficult enough if there's a breeze, and I bolt my cameras directly to the top of a big Riest tripod with no head in between. I strongly recommend the Sinar Norma for this kind of use, rather than a P or F. Better yet, study how Bradford Washburn did it, rather than AA.Your biggest enemy will be haze and heat currents anyway. I love long lens photography; but it is much easier with 4X5 than 8X10, esp with a 450C Fuji.

Drew Wiley

Too big an image circle can be a liability with distant scenes which might be low-contrast to begin with. Lots of flare risk. For that reason I recommend a bellow-style compendium lens shade as well as the tapered main bellows of the original Norma 4x5 (versus the later Sinar "box"bellows).

In the 1980s, I took on shooting several specific cover shots. 4x5 transparencies requested. Lenses needed to take the shots were rented process lenses being 1200mm plus. Camera a 4x5 Sinar Norma. Several extension rails and bellows needed. Main tripod below the back standard a Linhof Heavy Duty. Front standard tripod a Gitzo. Was hell to set up, and actually missed taking one morning shot because of that. Back around 2013 was commissioned to take similar cover image shots. This time used a 400mm and 800mm ED Nikkors and a Nikon D700. Was a thousand percent more easier to do. For me the longest lens I use on my 8x10 is a 27' rear element Protar. Longest on my 4x5 a 500mm optic. Need to shoot any longer that them, just shoot with a FX Nikon and and a long ED Nikkor, then make digital negatives to print from.

@Pere Casals, I have a copy of Reinhart Wolf's "Castles in Spain". His pictures are beautiful. But the book as published is tiny, maybe 5"x6", and the text is in German, which I cannot read. Someday I hope to find a full-size edition, if one exists.
    @Ken Lee, perhaps the OP has been scared off by all the responses. I hope not.

Drew Wiley

A couple of tricks: I have a Horseman 28 in bellows that will fit Sinar 4X5 with no need for an intermediate standard. The Norma tapered bellows works well up to about 24 inches. Second, if necessary, you can use two rail mounts attached to a long bar underneath, then bolt this right to your tripod platform, thereby eliminating the need for a second tripod. Sinar offered these kinds of bars, but I made my own out of 5/4X3 maple hardwood for about 2 percent the price. I'm heading up a hill with the Norma tomorrow. Since this is a system camera, you could tote both 4X5 and 8x10 components at the same time, as long as you're not a machine-gunner needing a lot of filmholders per outing.

This is the setup. German photographer Reinhard Wolf around 1980.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Unknown.jpeg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    @Pere Casals, I have a copy of Reinhart Wolf's "Castles in Spain". His pictures are beautiful. But the book as published is tiny, maybe 5"x6", and the text is in German, which I cannot read. Someday I hope to find a full-size edition, if one exists.
    @Ken Lee, perhaps the OP has been scared off by all the responses. I hope not.
    There is also a 12x15" version... I think...

Still workshops about that are available, I think.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1210551

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Was this post a troll ? Nothing further has been heard from the OP.
    Perhaps it is a marketing manager, wanting to learn about LF business dynamics