Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticking darkslide

Re: Sticking darkslide

If it just the slide, the above tips can work, but if it is a plastic slide, sometimes it's an old layer of sticky gunk on it from tobacco smoke etc, so try washing them with dishwashing liquid well, and leave a trace of the detergent on them to avoid a static build-up charge...

But more likely is that the holder slide guides can have old crud in them, or be swollen or warped... You can check this by inserting/removing the slides one at a time and note if there is any points that have greater resistance while you do this... If they are old wood holders, this is more likely, but you might try to dehumidify the wood holders, maybe by leaving them in a cold oven (that has a pilot light) for a few days so the slight heat inside will start to dry them out, and try again with the slides... (Don't forget to pull them before baking a pizza or pie!!!)

The last trouble spot is if the velvet or wool in the light trap is bunching up and binding the slide, so check for that... Sometimes there is corrosion on the metal that covers the light trap on non-plastic holders that can bind the slides, but you can usually hear grinding when you move the slides, and there can be debris or scratching on the slide...

See if you can isolate the issue, and post what you might find here for specfic solution input...

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Not all waxes are slippery! I like floor wax or Renaissance Wax. Both go on thin and are slippery. The difference is huge, and so I also wax my holders, which makes them much easier to insert and remove.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I don't agree with Nodda Duma. Having been a beekeeper I know beeswax is actually quite sticky. I would rather use either soap or paraffin on the edges, very lightly, leaving no visible residue--i.e., wipe clean after application.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Using silicone spray on a cloth and wiping the edges of the slide may help.
    Old trick used for decades is to wipe edges with wax paper. Slide back & forth like polishing the slides.
    ” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

Nose grease. Nothing works better. Apply it just along the edges of the dark slide.

Well I revisited Undercliffe Cemetery early today to retake the shot that was spoiled, presumably, by me tugging at the stuck darkslide and using the same film holder that I had originally used and which I 'lubricated' with furniture polish.
    Happy to say that all went well and the film developed nicely with no light leak stains

...Sweep