Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Re: Computerized Matte Board Cutters

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The 32X40 Esterly Speed Mat cutter arrived today, well packed and in EX+ condition. Hardly a blemish anywhere on the unit so the previous owner obviously took good care of it. I am very impressed with the build of the unit, much sturdier than one could judge from pictures.

The unit did not come with any wall mounting equipment. Any ideas about how to go about wall mounting, or reference to a good article on the subject, would be appreciated.

Sandy
    Here is how I decided to mount my Easterly unit. The first step for me was to determine how tall the unit should be mounted to allow me to have comfortable and efficient control of the unit without bending over or reaching too high. Once you have figure out the height of the base I put a piece of tape at that height off of the floor. I wanted to have some angle at the bottom of the matt cutter to the flat wall so I purchased three 90 degree heavy metal brackets from Home Depot and cut a 2x4 to width to the width of the matt cutter. I affixed the brackets to the wall and then the 2x4 to the bracket. Get a beefy bracket as this is not a place to skimp on structural strength. I also purchased five screw hinges. On the top of the 2x4 where the hinge is at the outer edge of the wooden 2x4 I screwed the hinge into the wood and on the back side of the mat cutter to secure it in place. I then rotated the mat cutter up and against the wall and put two screw hinges into the wall and into the top of the mat cutter to secure them. I used a stud detector to find where I had 2x4's past the drywall. Now the mat cutter sits at a comfortable angle away from the wall and it is very comfortable to work with at this position.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Here is how I decided to mount my Easterly unit. The first step for me was to determine how tall the unit should be mounted to allow me to have comfortable and efficient control of the unit without bending over or reaching too high. Once you have figure out the height of the base I put a piece of tape at that height off of the floor. I wanted to have some angle at the bottom of the matt cutter to the flat wall so I purchased three 90 degree heavy metal brackets from Home Depot and cut a 2x4 to width to the width of the matt cutter. I affixed the brackets to the wall and then the 2x4 to the bracket. Get a beefy bracket as this is not a place to skimp on structural strength. I also purchased five screw hinges. On the top of the 2x4 where the hinge is at the outer edge of the wooden 2x4 I screwed the hinge into the wood and on the back side of the mat cutter to secure it in place. I then rotated the mat cutter up and against the wall and put two screw hinges into the wall and into the top of the mat cutter to secure them. I used a stud detector to find where I had 2x4's past the drywall. Now the mat cutter sits at a comfortable angle away from the wall and it is very comfortable to work with at this position.

Cheers!
    Hi Michael,

Thanks, your observations are very helpful

I will definitely plan to attach the unit to the wall with screws into the studs!! The mat cutter would not be something we would want to attach to the dry wall with butterfly anchors!!

Regards,

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, how is the mat cutter working out for you?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know