I bought a used Esterly Speed Mat cutter because I just became totally frustrated with the inaccuracy of the Logan type systems for cutting large mats. I do all my own mat cutting and cutting anything larger than a 16x20 mat for me was just an exercise in frustration. I do a lot of large mats. Below 16x20, the Logan type machines were ok (marginally).

The Esterly Speed Mat holds up to 60x40 mat board. It mounts on a wall. It's a purely mechanical unit, but it's the closest thing to a production machine short of a computerized machine. It locks the board down absolutely securely and the cutter carriage is then just moved through four cuts as fast as you can say it with incredible accuracy. Once you see one in action, you'll never want to use any other kind of manual system. Here's a link to a photographer who shows his whole process. He demonstrates the Esterly at about 4:30 into the video. Don't blink. If you've never seen one before, you'll be amazed how fast it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n2o...ertRodriguezJr

The Speed Mat company also makes a computerized machine. I believe their machine is at the very low price range of such machines.

(I have no connection to them or to the photographer in the video)

I investigated a number of the high end machines - Valiani, Zund, Kongsberg. They are all fantastic machines. If anyone has seen poor cuts from such a machine, something was very wrong with the setup or the operator allowed the blade to become dull. They are capable of precision beyond which anyone needs in mat cutting. They are used in high-end production cutting of all kinds, way beyond mat cutting. There are many fascinating youtube videos showing these beasts. The videos are a real eye-opener into that industry. I highly recommend doing a search on youtube.

They are drop-dead beautiful pieces of equipment and are intended for very high-volume production. Only the largest of frame shops can reasonably afford such things.

Rich