Thread: Large Format Workshop/Training in Southern Calif ?

Large Format Workshop/Training in Southern Calif ?

Hi,

Where can one go (in or near Southern California) to learn Large Format? I would like to make the jump to a 4x5 camera but before I do, I'd like to get some instruction & training. Either a group seminar or one on one. I live near San Bernardino.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark, contact Lynn Radeka at radekaphotography.com As well as being a super nice guy, he teaches LF and he really knows his stuff. Tell him bob sandstrom says hi.

I forgot to mention he's not that far from you.

Good Luck

Photographer, Machinist, etc. Jeffrey Sipress's Avatar

Try Charles Farmer, in Santa Barbara.

http://www.charlespfarmer-photo.com/index.htm

Hi Mark, I'm in Riverside and am somewhat a newbie to LF starting about a year ago. You are more than welcome to come out with me if you want. Beside the other suggestions, try http://www.pervolquartz.com/landscapegal.html
    Per's in Pasadena and organizes several LF get togethers. The next one is in October I believe and up near Mammoth
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Per's workshops are inexpensive and very good. But I don't know why you really need one when there are so many books that make learning the basics or even advanced techniques so easy. It was years before I took a workshop and I made some outstanding images with an old speed graphic camera. I found large format as easy as any point and shoot I had used before. Just go to Samy's Camera or Calumet in Orange County and talk with them. Also Phil Bard (on the net) is in Pasadena and he's a good teacher. Anything else you need can be learned here. But if a workshop is what you want, then look up Per Volquartz here in the archives and take one of his classes. Stroebel's book or Simmon's book will give you all the basics and more. Ansel Adam's series will give you all you'll need to know.

You might also check the community colleges in your area. I took a very good course at Grossmont college in El Cajon. It also gives you a yardstick seeing other students' displays. Cheers.

Hi Mark,

I'm not as much of an expert as some of the LF photographers in this forum, but I'm interested in meeting other LF'ers. I live in the Palm Springs area (La Quinta), and if you want to make it out here to try some shooting together, let me know. I have an extra 4 x 5 you could try out. By the way, Joshua Tree is probably not the best place to go right now. I don't know how hot it is there during the day, but it was 120 here in Palm Springs yesterday. Perhaps take the Palm Springs tramway up to the top of the mountain.

Michael E. Gordon

Hi Mark: Guy Tal and I are conducting an Intro to LF workshop in the Eastern Sierra in about six weeks. The original post (on this forum) is here: http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/502035.html

A direct link to our website: http://gtworkshops.com/

Thank you.

From one Mark to another-I don't know the first darn thing about california but several years playing with LF cameras is something I do no a little about.

Nothing takes the place of play. Set the camera up and play with all of the movements. See what happens when you move it this way and that. Burn a few sheets of polaroid write notes on them and use them for reference.

If you need human interaction go to an old camera shop. Ask them some questions. I have not gotten great help in in stores peopled by the younger generation but those old shops with the middle aged gents/ladies behind the counter are GREAT sources of information. Books, this site and the internet in general will help a beginner a lot more than a workshop that lasts one weekend. Spend those hard earned dollars on a workshop when you get to the point you know the basics and want inspiration.

JMO though

The other mark