View Poll Results: Why do YOU shoot large format?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • For the image quality

33 56.90%
  • It forces me to slow down and become a better photographer

29 50.00%
  • "LF is a state of mind" - it's a meditative thing

18 31.03%
  • I need the controls (ie I HATE converging trees)

20 34.48%
  • Digital is the Devil

2 3.45%
  • I never choose the easy things in life

20 34.48%
  • The gear lasts forever and is timeless

12 20.69%
  • Because ANYONE can take a 35mm photo in P mode

2 3.45%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Why do YOU shoot large format (4x5 or bigger)

Poll: Why do YOU shoot large format (4x5 or bigger)

I couldn't find a poll like this on here so I'm asking. Sorry if it's redundant. I'm just curious where this will fall. I know we each have our reasons. While I consider LF 4x5 and larger, I really have no business voting because I haven't done it in many years and the slow boat from China with my Chamonix is paddling into headwinds and I'm still waiting. Anyways, I posted my answer. It slows me down and makes me think and ultimately it will make me better.

Re: Poll: Why do YOU shoot large format (4x5 or bigger)

Now it's here
    Tin Can

Randy how the heck did you reply to my poll before I even posted it? You're quick man....

Anyways poll now done for better or worse. I didn't intend to be scientific.

My computer is right next to my studio and darkroom. I am constantly moving about my cave.

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    Randy how the heck did you reply to my poll before I even posted it? You're quick man....

Anyways poll now done for better or worse. I didn't intend to be scientific.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    My computer is right next to my studio and darkroom. I am constantly moving about my cave.
    I like it : )

In a winter like this, I hibernate and seldom leave the cave for 2 weeks at a time.

Sometimes I go to the shed and dig around my George Carlin stuff, but only if I really need something.

The Weight, by The Band https://youtu.be/sjCw3-YTffo

Quote Originally Posted by Laminarman View Post
    I like it : )
    Last edited by Tin Can; 21-Jan-2019 at 14:27. Reason: add my fav song
    Tin Can

I make work in alt processes requiring contact prints made using UV light. I use in-camera negatives, so if I want bigger prints, I need bigger cameras. Fortunately, I like 8x10 (Zone VI) as a size, but enjoy going up to 11x14 (a Chamonix) some, too. But I also have on-going projects using 4x5 and/or 5x7...where size/weight of the equipment becomes a factor.

Just got back from a month in southern Chile with the 5x7 (100+ year-old Eastman View No.2). Lots of wind, rain in many places when there was no wind, lots of time on the roads...but exposed 30 sheets of FP4+ of about 20 different images -- ordering chemicals tomorrow.

I was asked once in Chile (German tourist, I believe) why use such a camera in our technological age? I gave him my standard answer that I wrote above. Later, hit by delayed intellegence, I wished I had said something more along these lines:

Cameras are tools of the artist. The tools an artist uses shape the artist as much as the artist shapes with his tools. And you don't know the shape I'm in..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00VkP7v-VaM
    Last edited by Vaughn; 21-Jan-2019 at 22:13.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    In a winter like this, I hibernate and seldom leave the cave for 2 weeks at a time.

Sometimes I go to the shed and dig around my George Carlin stuff, but only if I really need something.
    Went out this afternoon with my Hasselblad. I was going to walk up my property about 1/4 mile and take a few photos, the light has been great. We got hammered by snow this weekend. It's wind chill 30 below, no joke. Got bundled up, got the snowshoes on, backpack on, Mad Bomber hat, mittens, ski pants. Took about 10 minutes to go 100 yards in the snow uphill, face started freezing, then I face planted when I caught my heel, got snow down my neck, had to take my mittens off to tighten the now loose snowshoe, fingers now totally numb, pushed on, became totally frozen and felt my skin start to freeze, turned back around and got back to the house and poured an early Lagavulin to warm me up. This proves one thing: you're smarter than me.

Great quote and great clip Vaughn!

I'm wondering for those who choose image quality what their quality parameter is. Tonality? Grain? Perspective control? The "film look" but I'm not sure most people can tell that difference. I have a Nikon D810 and the image quality is incredible. I just can't stand all the digital choices and menus and programming anymore- I feel like I'm flying the space shuttle. If someone told me to choose a camera based on image quality alone, I'm not sure I could ignore digital. I am holding images from a Nikon Z7 in my hand now and am fairly blown away. That being said I'm into LF and film once again because it's more organic (or analog I guess).