Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sekonic L758-DR low battery behavior

Re: Sekonic L758-DR low battery behavior

There have also been those (such as on this forum) who take multiple incident readings in order to determine the best exposure, rather than a single incident reading. In the end, if you get an appropriately exposed shot who cares how you metered it...

Thanks again. Sekonic's website mentions using incident metering with the dome facing toward the strobe, to measure highlights, and with the dome pointing away from the strobe on the dark side of the subject to measure shadows. This gives an incident reading of the range of values. In my mind it is analogous to spot metering but from the subject position. This is where I think I am losing the plot.

I am exposing for the average incident meter reading with the dome facing the camera from the subject position. For a higher contrast subject it is likely the highlights will be blown which for me is not ok if the highlights are on the subject's face or clothing.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

If I'm reading you right, it seems to me that you need to consider the difference between flash metering (which uses the dome pointed toward the strobe) and incident light metering (which uses the dome in natural light pointed toward the camera). I haven't read the Sekonic manual in a long time and can't recall what terminology they use in both metering situations but seem to recall both metrering techniques discussed separately.